Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bikes For Christmas Drive


Dear Mr. Albero,
My name is Hunter Fooks of Federalsburg, MD and I’m a senior at Salisbury Christian School. Recently I went on a trip with Gethsamane UMC to Pungoteague, VA and volunteered for a weekend in a small church. While there, I witnessed the need for bicycles for transportation and Christmas presents for children and adults. For the past 16 Christmases, I’ve been receiving presents and this year I want to give something back. There are so many disadvantaged families and children on Delmarva who would love nothing more than to receive a bicycle for Christmas. So I got the idea to put together a drive to collect bicycles and helmets to give to needy families on Delmarva. I brought my idea to Senior Ben Katzaman of Delmar, DE and we put together plans for the bike drive to share the love of Christ and the blessings we have been given. We made calls to contacts in the area, made flyers for donations, and presented the idea to our school administration. We will be accepting donations of used or new bicycles and helmets in good condition at Salisbury Christian School before December, 18, 2009 to deliver to various organizations including Crisfield Village Youth Center, Christian Shelter and Pungoteague Community Church for Christmas. Bicycles can be dropped off before or after school at either entrance of SCS.
In the first week of our drive we have received over 30 bicycles and hope to have many more come in before December 18. If you are able to assist us in the spreading the word about this great cause, please do so. We accept all bikes that are in good condition. We’re currently working to make sure each of the bikes has working brakes and tires. We are in need of donations of new tire tubes and brakes as well as used or new bicycles.
Thanks!
Ben Katzaman
Bikes For Christmas
Marketing & Bike Distribution
443-880-1556
ben@katzaman.com
Hunter Fooks
Bike Collection & Repair
443-521-2933

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous idea and what nice, generous young men they both are for doing this!
I know their parents are especially proud. I hope my son will one day be such an exceptional example and I will certainly be sharing this article and story with him.
I do have a bike, that he has outgrown, and I will be dropping it off in the next few days.
Thanks to both of them for their giving spirit and commitment to their mission.

Ashely said...

This wonderful young man is my nephew and our family is very proud of him, especially his parents and grandparents. Thank you Joe for posting this and thank you to anyone who supports Hunter and his friend in thier mission.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful idea! Wonderful kids! Wonderful school! Our daughter goes there. The staff is the best!!!

Anonymous said...

This just shows that those associated with salisbury christian think of others before themselves, I am proud to be a SCS parent