Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, November 02, 2009

Mayor Ireton, Let's Get Real




Look, I understand the concept behind Code & Compliance but to be quite honest with you, it's scenes like this that truly ticks me off to no end. You see, when it comes to anything government related it's more, do as I say, not as I do.

This is the storage property on Waverly Drive where thousands of people have to travel past this lot and simply put up with this crap.

Ever since I bought my Downtown property, I have had Code & Compliance up my rear end for this or that and quite frankly they have cost me several thousand dollars for simple crap. Mind you, I'm all about being compliant and I want to have my property right. However, is it just my Inspector in the Downtown area who has perfect vision and all of the rest of the Inspectors are legally blind?

Recently there was mention of green mold on the exterior of my building. First of all, that's fungus. It's on an area I cannot access and quite frankly it's a fungus that grows everywhere, including on trees. It's not really noticeable, unless someone like JT calls them to complain. Nevertheless, I took a ride around Salisbury this weekend and I started taking pictures of buildings with BLACK mold all over them but of course nothing has been said to them.

No, I'm not saying they're picking on me, they're not. However, when I get a phone call and I'm asked to come out and take pictures of a storage lot on Waverly Drive and the mess they mentioned three weeks ago is still there, well, I've got a problem with this system. It should be noted, I was NOT asked to remove the mold/fungus. However, I have taken steps through TEMCO to have it removed anyway to show Code & Compliance, (in good faith) I continue to prove I am willing to work with them.

In these hard economic times, I doubt Mayor Ireton wants Joe Albero driving the streets and posting images of other violators and clearly showing how it works for some and not for others. Believe me, I can start with a list of Landlords and go from there. Start cleaning up your own mess Mayor, before you sick the dogs out on us honest taxpayers who have invested many more millions of dollars on their properties than anyone else.

This is a battle I highly doubt this Mayor wants to get into with me as I do love a challenge and I very rarely lose.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in a house near North Salisbury Elementary School and I was cited and required to clean the mold off the side of my house. My house is up for sale and there is a "short sale" sign on the post. This should give a clue as to my financial situation at the moment. I didn't notice if anyone else on the block was cited or not. If I have to pay to have some mold cleaned off my house then the city should hold itself to the same standard and clean up their mess. If the idea behind this is to have Salisbury look clean and prsentable the city is surely doing a poor job.

Anonymous said...

Do it Joe. Its the principle of it.

Anonymous said...

Start snapping pictures to show everyone what the real Salisbury looks like. Ireton would of done it if he'd lost the election. Plus everyone knows how much he loves photo ops!

Anonymous said...

The City of Salisbury has became very difficult to work with. Instead of working with developers, business owners, contractors, etc... they insist on trying to screw them. They are are arrogant and most often unqualified for the positions they hold. Some day they might realize why business owners are closing shop and moving elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

lets all get out and load code and compliance office with PHOTOS.

Anonymous said...

Get rid of code and compliance and we would all be better off. Can we really afford them or would we be better off without them?

Anonymous said...

When are they going to repave Waverly Drive per their Resolution No.1312. That road is in bad shape after the drain pipe fiasco.

Anonymous said...

Joe, when are you going to do something worth while. Does anyone understand that this is a construction project? If there are some hoses piled up in the corner does it hurt anything? Simple fact of the mateer is all these people complaining are the same people who gripe about the water in the street. Make up your mind people. Let's try to actually stand up for what we believe in, not what other people tell us to. Joe, have you made any attempt to talk to the people doing the project? Or do you just make up your own version of reality?

Anonymous said...

This is a temporary area for the big drainage pipe and street renewal at Waverly Drive. As this is a heavy construction site, they've got to put the stuff somewhere. I sort of fail to see the point of complaining about it. When the street is finished, and the stuff stays there for six months afterwards, then complain.

Anonymous said...

The Code and Compliance dept.needs to be eliminated and something else put in place.It is headed by a Butt kissing person from the last administration who is still working for its special interests. That explains your situation Joe. We had great hope for this Mayor.So far he has not had the nerve to step on any toes of the last administration.If you are on the hit list of Code and Compliance, They will dog you to death while your neighbors will have multiple violations and they will go ignored.Truth is the Landlords run the city and are still gaining properties with the help of Code and Compliance.When people give up , they buy the properties and then the properties are left alone.

Anonymous said...

Joe, I believe this is "kingdom building". This doesn't have anything to do with keeping the city pretty, it has to do with revenue. When I questioned the head of code and compliance regarding motives of an inspector, he very quickly replied that, "this is not about revenue." Gotcha. I never said it was. Sometimes the defense shows it all.

Anonymous said...

Pic 1: Construction zone. I have no problem with that because the mess is fenced in.

Pic 2: Construction zone. Yes, it could be neater, but it is behind a fence. However, that storm drain is full of trash and cannot be blamed on the (fenced-in) construction materials.

Pic 3: Not a construction zone. Big, bold graffiti and an abandoned shopping cart. No excuse.

If Joe were to take more pictures like #3, you wouldn't nit-pick him so much - you'd be right there asking why NSCC hasn't done anything about it.

Anonymous said...

Government~Do as I say not as I do.

mike r said...

hey ill come clean the mold off for some free advertising!

mike

Anonymous said...

I stay across the street from the first poster (for work) and their house has always been extremely well maintained and really beautiful when their flowers bloom! Code and compliance must have their heads up someone's arse!! We were cited a month ago for grass growing in our sidewalk. It was so short, we had to use a weedeater like an edger just to get it out. Now, the molded, trashed up rental next door constantly looks awful but you never see any violations flapping around on their door! hhmmmm....

countrygirl@heart

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe, I appreciate the concern for the appearence of my site to the public. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I had my men address you concerns. I regularly follow you blog site as it contains a wealth of valid information. Thanks again.