Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

An Open Letter To The Wicomico County Council

Dear Wicomico County Council,

I come before you once again to make what I once thought was an easy and reasonable request.

That is: Please, don't require that I take vacation time off work to participate in the county council meetings and the legislation process that affects me, my money, and my community.

While I want to acknowledge and thank you for "deciding to experiment" by holding one quarterly meeting in the evening, as is stated in this Daily Times article from your last meeting, it doesn't seem to be much of a departure from the once a quarter evening meeting you have been conducting for the last two years.

Like tens of thousands of hard working tax payers in this county, I work a traditional work day that consists of Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm.

Coming to your meetings at 10am on a Tuesday is no easy task for me or others that would like to be here. We have to take time off of work, and in this economy, for those that are employed or run a business, that's often not possible.

I know most of you personally and consider you to be reasoned, thoughtful, wise and good people, but I don't understand what is so difficult about conducting evening meetings to meet the needs of tax paying citizens. I requested evening meetings back in July and basically my request was politely ignored. I made the request again in August along with many others, including Mary Ashanti, President of NAACP, and I understand that it was brought up by citizens again at your last meeting on August 18th, when I couldn't attend because I was working. In fact, I understand this a long standing request from this community.

Some of you, like Mr. Cannon have stated that he doesn't care one way or another if the meetings are held during the workday or after hours. Mrs. Prettyman mentioned the council meetings are televised on PAC 14, Mr. McCloud feels he represents seniors and is concerned that evening meetings would be difficult for them to attend, Mr. McCain said he thinks it's a limited amount of people who desire this change. Mr. Holloway has openly supported night meetings, Mrs. Sample-Hughes invited me to her district's quarterly evening meeting, which I found very enlightening, (thank you) and Mrs. Bartkovich, well I haven't heard your opinion on this.

There have been no less then 3 articles on this matter in the Daily Times in the last 6 weeks on this subject and countless discussions on the net and in local blogs like Sbynews,http://sbynews.blogspot.com/ DelmarvaDealings,http://www.delmarvadealings.com/ monoblogue http://monoblogue.us/ with all kinds of support for evening meetings, yet I am told there is not enough support among the council, for evening meetings to take it to a vote. Daily Times article

Council, these are challenging times. As if budget shortfalls and cuts weren't bad enough, I understand that state of Maryland is cutting funding to Wicomico County by million dollars. I personally, along with hundred of Americans for Prosperity members, and other citizens want to be a part of the discussion on how that and other issues with be delt with. I certainly want to participate on how you are spending my money.

I know this is the way you have "always done it" but this is the time for REAL Change. It's the right thing to do!

Thank you,

Julie

On A Side Note: Also FYI: We have filled out 9/12 bus and are booking another. That's 4 total that I know of from the shore. (or 200+ people) If anyone wants a reservation on the bus please ask them to contact Ed Nelson. 410-860-2824 ednelson@verizon.net

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mcleod only represents the democrats. Forget about the seniors or his district... he only listens to what his party wants. I know first handed. He is a waste of time.