Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Barrie = Gary Questionable Intent?

Good morning Joe,

First of all, please do not post my name as I fear it may jeopardize my relationships at work.

I received a notice in my mailbox on Friday, not post marked by the way.

It was a three page stapled, unfolded notice,

The first pages is a follows.

Attention Residents of Ellington & Schumaker Manor

Mayor Barrie P. Tilghman invites all residents of both Ellington and Schumaker Manor to a meeting to discuss any issues or concerns in the neighborhoods.

Date: Thursday, April 2, 2009

Time: 5:00 PM

Place: Fire Station #1, Meeting Room
1100 Beaglin Park Drive

If you have any questions regarding this meeting, please contact the Mayor’s office at 410-548-3100



The next two pages appear to be from the Student Government Association of Salisbury University

It concerns an event called Salisbury University’s Big Event

It is scheduled for April 18, 2000

It says……

Created in 1982, The Big Event started as a one day community service project at Texas A&M University. It was a way for the students to say “Thanks you” to the surrounding towns for their support to the university.

This year the Salisbury University Student Government Association is sponsoring its 5TH annual Big Event in the Salisbury community. This year’s Big Event will be a one day community service project for the citizens residing around the Salisbury University campus.” ….. and so on

Here is my take on the first page. I suspect this is a campaign ploy for Gary Comegys in disguise. I would be interested in what others think as well.

As far as the other two pages, I suspect that it is legitimate. What I don’t understand is that these two events were stapled together. Why are that related? Any ideas?

Another concern is that it was in my mailbox without postage. If my memory serves me correctly, it is illegal to put anything in a post box without postage. Can someone out there verify this for me?

16 comments:

Orsonwells said...

I'd like to know what the subject of the other two pages is. It is indeed illegal to use a mailbox for anything that is not U.S. Postal mail.
If it is Comegys campaign literature the hint is clear.

Anonymous said...

With such a chickens_it post like this, I'd be concerned about future work relations, too. You didn't happen to mention if either flyer had any mispelled words or improper punctuation.

My only question would be, if I were a lame duck mayor, would I even bother to go through this exercise?

Anonymous said...

The Big Event is a legit event. I got my notice a few weeks ago about it. Last year some students helped clean my lawn up

Justin said...

Anyone who need help from the college kids is welcome to get it. Most of the kids involved are volunteer oriented and have nothing to do with our local dirty politics. Last year my next neighbor needed extra help to clean all the junk her father left her before he passed away and the SU students came to the rescue.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is illegal to put anything without a stamp on it in a mailbox. This includes all literature, public and private.
The Big Event is a well done and excellent charitable and good-will event put on by the SU community.
The "get-togethers" advertised by the mayor are something that she's never done before are suspect in their intent, just because of that fact and that they come on the eve of her leaving the administration. They may well be a tool to promote Comegys as her replacement. It's unlikely that she'll offer the input from those meetings to her successor if it isn't Comegys. Her drawers are full of the legal pads she's scribbled citizen comments on, and beside them are the names of the people who gave them. The comments are left in the drawers. The names go on Tilghman's "trouble" list.
It's not a good thing that these are stapled together. It terribly demeans and calls into legal question, by virtue of being illicitly placed in mailboxes, a great community effort by SU students. The SU students and staff promoting the Big Event should loudly complain.

Anonymous said...

It appears that the Mare may have used some of her college student slumlord renters to distribute her campaign literature which is a scam and possibly illegal.

How convenient for this event to be just prior to an election.

What I would recommend is that every good tax paying citizen of this city attend the Mare's event and see if she pushes her agenda to get bubba and boda elected. Someone should be right there taping this whole event and if she mentions one word about voting for bubba and boda then we should immediately file charges of ethics and election violations. BUSTED on Tape.

Anonymous said...

we live in Granby's Cove and received the same type of solicitation in a city of Salisbury envelope, however the meeting we were to attend is on April 1st at the fire department. I am thoroughly disgusted by these tactics. Pathetic

Anonymous said...

the mare is having one of these little tete-e-tete's At Lutheren Village at Harbor Pointe today for the citizens of Sleepy Hollow and Harbor Pointe.
She is all about transparency--We can see right through her lame duck a$$.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Joe.
Can we get a list of all the times places the mayor's having these "events" and make it available here? I, for one, would like to attend all of them, if for nothing else to hear what citizens from all sorts of neighborhoods really have to say, as that's something that could be very valuable in balancing our perspectives on what needs to be done for the city as a whole.
If there was a multi-neighborhood showing in these meetings so that information between neighborhoods could be heard by all, I'm sure that we'd see that we have lots of common neighborhood problems that need addressing.
In fact, it's probably wise to record each of them so that their messages aren't lost with the mayoral transition.
Got any thoughts on that?

Anonymous said...

As Gary rose like a rocket, he fell like a stick.

Anonymous said...

You all are assuming people will actually show up to hear Barrie whine. We all know she doesn't listen to a word said by taxpaying citizens or anyone else. She has always had her own agenda.

I'd like a list of her whereabouts as well so I could catch her video violating the law.

Anonymous said...

11:54, what time and where is her Lutheran Village meeting today?

1:52, what time is you meeting at Station 1 on April Fool's Day (how appropriate)?

Joe, I think there's one for the Camden area on March 31 at Bethany Lutheran. What time is that one?

A friend of mine said she just had one in the park.

Anonymous said...

With a Mayor leaving office in just a few day per se why does she care what the citizens have to say? She doesn't, the bottom line is she is trying to push her political agenda to get Bubba and Boda elected. Wake up citizens, go to these meetings and bust her chops. We need to catch her doing something illegal and put her away for a long time.

Anonymous said...

12:49 pm
Sorry, I do not remember the exact time. It is either 4, 5, or 6 pm. I imagine if you call Lutheran Village, they will know.
I am just not interested in hearing any more of her spin. She has ruined this town as far as I am concerned. I just want to sell my home and get out of the city limits. I can't even sell my home. I pray that Comegys does not get elected. I will be voting for Ireton.

Anonymous said...

What a pathetic specimen of an elected official. Barrie, take a breath, go home and drink another one. Just give it up. You might have won many battles because you were the mayor but you ain't going to win this one.

Anonymous said...

Who counts the votes? Let's hope it isn't the city offices.