Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cancel Your Credit Cards Before You Die

Now some people are really stupid!!!!
Be sure and cancel your credit cards before you die.

This is so priceless, and so, so easy to see happening, customer service being what it is today.

A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00 when she died, but now somewhere around $60.00. A family member placed a call to Citibank.

Here is the exchange:

Family Member: 'I am calling to tell you she died back in January.'

Citibank: 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.'

Family Member: 'Maybe, you should turn it over to collections.'

Citibank: 'Since it is two months past due, it already has been.'

Family Member: So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?'

Citibank: 'Either report her account to frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!'

Family Member: 'Do you think God will be mad at her?'

Citibank: 'Excuse me?'

Family Member: 'Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her being dead?'

Citibank: 'Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor.'


Supervisor gets on the phone:

Family Member: 'I'm calling to tell you, she died back in January with a $0 balance.'

Citibank: 'The account was never closed and late fees and charges still apply.'

Family Member: 'You mean you want to collect from her estate?'

Citibank: (Stammer) 'Are you her lawyer?'

Family Member: 'No, I'm her great nephew.' (Lawyer info was given)

Citibank: 'Could you fax us a certificate of death?'

Family Member: 'Sure.' (Fax number was given )


After they get the fax:

Citibank: 'Our system just isn't setup for death. I don't know what more I can do to help.'

Family Member: 'Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. She won't care.'

Citibank: 'Well, the late fees and charges will still apply.'

What is wrong with these people?!?)

Family Member: 'Would you like her new billing address?'

Citibank: 'That might help...'

Family Member: 'Odessa Memorial Cemetery, Highway 129, Plot Number 69.'

Citibank: 'Sir, that's a cemetery!'

Family Member: 'And what do you do with dead people on your planet???'

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll try to remember to cancel them, because MY heirs won't have nearly the patience with idiocy as this family did!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't stop laughing reading that! Sad part is, I can completely imagine that conversation after dealing with Citibank over the years and watching the customer service decline.

boniblue said...

joe-
the sad thing is... this is really how credit card companies are...
when my fiance died three years ago his credit cards were in good standing - and all canceled due to death by his parents. Well since we lived together they harassed me until i disconnected my home phone. after that... i cut up ALL my credit cards and i refuse to ever have one again. it is not always convenient - but the thought of my loved ones dealing with those... well... if i say what i really think of them... you may not publish this so... lets just say... those very 'un-nice people'!!!
have a great one... a new day has begun!
b

Anonymous said...

I can completely relate!! When my mother passsed I let them know and she had the service where it paid if you were injured and had no income. We provided a copy of her death certificate. So one year sfter her passing they called to say that her time was up and she would need to pay her bill again. I reminded them that they had on file a copy of the death certificate. They told me that if she did not pay it would go into collections and against her credit. I just simply told them that I really don't think she was worried about her credit now and laughed. They hung up on me.

Anonymous said...

More times then not your speaking to someone nemed Bob from a call center in the Middle East or India who speaks enough English to make your life miserable.

Anonymous said...

Cancel them before your born.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing sad about it. These companies are criminal. Period. Think about it folks.

Anonymous said...

Is this a real transcript? Can we hear the audio posted someplace?

Anonymous said...

9:07am you are right on...their newest tactic is trying to collect on a bill before the payment is due. I was a week (due on the 11th of the month but mailed the day before it was due) behind in mailing a payment and they called me on the 15th asking if I was able to pay not only the payment I missed but had added the following month, so instead of $199, they asked if I was ok to pay the $398 today over the phone. I asked was that a late charge, they said no, but I see your balance is past due. After a couple of back and forth comments on why the double payment and that they should have received it could you check and getting your account is past due and that's not my department as an answer, I said it's in the mail and hung up.

Anonymous said...

They rey to intimidate an heir into paying the bill. Do not do it they legally have to eat any outstanding balances unless you leave a fairly large estate.

Anonymous said...

I have nothing to leave my family when it is my turn to go except for whatever they want in my apartment. No savings, no money under the matress, nothing. I live from paycheck to paycheck and have NO credit cards. If I can't afford it, I don't buy it. But after reading this, am thinking...if I ever find out in advance that I AM dying, I might get a credit card, buy nice things for my family and not worry about them being responsible for paying..lol
I will not even list a beneficiary, unless they want to try and collect from a cat.
P.S...I DO have a sense of humor and figure this was probably a joke...but ya never know!

Anonymous said...

This does sound like something Citibank might do. Years ago I was in the process of relocating and open a checking account with them before I closed my only account. I deposited a check with Citibank. A couple of days later a check was marked NSF and I was charge for this. The NSF charge was more then the check, go figure.