Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Coughing? Try This!

I had a friend email this to me last night. If I had a cold, I would try it. If anyone has done this, please comment and let me know your findings. If you have a cold with coughing, try it tonight and comment on if it worked.


VICKS VAPOR RUB INTERESTING

During a lecture on Essential Oils, they told us how the foot soles can absorb oils.

Their example: Put garlic on your feet and within 20 minutes you can 'taste' it.

Some of us have used Vicks Vaporub for years for everything from chapped lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time, although the scientists who discovered it aren't sure why.

To stop night time coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks Vaporub generously on the bottom of the feet at bedtime, then cover with socks. Even persistent, heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief.

Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly. It was found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bedtime, in addition to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly.

If you end up sick, try it yourself and you will be absolutely amazed at how it works.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have used this on my 5 yo son many many times and it DOES WORK! I smooth it on the bottoms of his feet and put socks on him...w/in a 1/2 hour he quits coughing and sleeps thru the night (which means I get to too!!)

Lynn

Anonymous said...

Uswe it all the time, but dont acidentaly scratch yourself in the wrong place.

SunnyInOC said...

hahahaha, that made my morning, 8:58!!!!

Anonymous said...

Some reports say it cures toenail fungus as well.

Anonymous said...

http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/vaporub.asp

The toenail fungus cure has been debunked- It doesn't work. But I couldn't find anything that debunked using it for a cough. So I'm going to try it.

Anonymous said...

My grandmother used it on me and I used this method on my children. It works>>>>>>>

Anonymous said...

Believe it - it works - last winter my daughter had a horrible cough and someone mentioned that she'd heard about doing this - I figured why not try it?! She slept for 4 hours straight thru and then I had to reapply and she slept another 4 hours straight thru. I'd much prefer doing that than giving her a bunch of medicine!

Anonymous said...

A few Captain Morgan and Cokes don't hurt a cough either....and the socks are optional.

Anonymous said...

at what age is this is ok for use on children?

Anonymous said...

The essential oil blend in Vicks Vap O Rub will indeed help fight some fungus. Rosemary is known to be antifungal and will also stimulate blood flow, increasing circulation.

Another good herb or essential oil for fighting infection is Oregano. It tastes terrible but will help. I perfer using a few drops of Oregano essential oil in soups over putting a ton of oregano in it.

Never doubt the power of things in nature. God knew what he was doing when he created the earth and all things in it.

Anonymous said...

"at what age is this is ok for use on children?"
Would that be the Vick's Rub or the Captain Morgans?

Anonymous said...

i would hope you know.. but incase you are really that dumb im talking about the vicks

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it only treats the cough or if it will actually treat the "congestion" causing the cough.
Might have to give it a shot.

Anonymous said...

{INSERT INEVITABLE DISCLAIMER HERE}-I'M talking about Mr. Morgan, though. Although for only those of legal drinking age (although I would support legislation lowering this to 18 yoa). But just to show you I learn from other viewpoints; my butt is actually sick with a head cold for the first time this winter (this is good-it usually hits me earlier during Thanksgiving). On my desk I have NyQuil, Mr. Morgan, Vicks, my feet and a "S -load" of socks and limes-one of these "factors" (or interaction thereof) is bound to work in a few hours....this would have made a great presentation for those old "Science Fairs" they used to force us to do when I was in school.

Anonymous said...

I've done this as long as I can recall. It works great! When I stuffy I also put it on my feet with socks over them just before putting shoes on. I don't understand any of it but I know for a fact that it works!

Kim

Anonymous said...

11:05 my mom started putting it on my feet when I was 11. Sure did keep me from coughing at bedtime.

Anonymous said...

I heard about this last year - my boys were just under a year old and had a horrible cough with a cold. I tried it using Baby Vicks - and it worked. Now I use it everytime they have a cold and it works wonders.