Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, September 26, 2008

WARNING / SCAM

"Hi Joe:

I wanted to let you know about a believed scam that is going on that may effect your readers. I received a letter in the mail today for a debt settlement offer. The company is Arrow Financial Services of Niles, IL. They claim I had a past due balance of $103.81 with Pepco, and that I could settle for $15.57. I assume they think if they try for such a small amount people will just pay it. The only problem is I've never had such an account. I don't have any relative nor anyone I know that's ever had an account with Pepco. I'm not even a homeowner and would have no use for propane gas service! Every house I've ever lived in has electric heat and appliances. If you check with the BBB Illinois you'll find over 1000 complaints against them, including others for trying to collect on bogus accounts. Surprisingly they are still licensed to do business in the state of IL! Please let your readers know never to accept a letter at face value. Should you call them, NEVER give your social security number or account information. Since they are a supposed collection agency they should already have your information.

I'm a Delaware resident, but would you check with your friend Davis Ruark and see if he's familiar with this company and if he has any advice?

Thanks,
Cliff"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't suprise me a bit , look
at your leaders in IL. . Obama,
and the rest of the democrates.

Anonymous said...

A neighbor of mine just received the same letter stating he owed Pepco. His was a settlement offer from $2000.00 something down to $175.00. He called and they told him it was a bill from Delmarva Power from 8 yrs ago. Was it ever Pepco ??

Anonymous said...

Pepco is the Delmarva Power of the DC area...Potomac Electric Power Company.