Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, August 07, 2008

SPD Press Release On Murder Case + Editors Note

On August 6, 2008 at approximately 10:20 am, Detectives of the Salisbury Police Department received a communication from the Maryland Medical Examiner’s Office that a positive identification had been made of the female body found in the Northwood Industrial Park on July 28. Utilizing dental records, the victim has been identified as: Audrey Lee Jurewicz, 26 years of age Salisbury, Maryland

Detectives were advised that the cause of death of the victim is homicide. The method of death will not be released at this time due to the continuing investigation. The victim had a prior arrest for prostitution in June of this year, in Salisbury.

Detectives have not identified a suspect in this investigation, however while conducting interviews with known area prostitutes it was revealed that three (3) other women had been assaulted by the same subject, operating the same vehicle. The initial contact between these victims and the suspect occurred in the area of Route 13 and Philadelphia avenue, including the side streets.

This suspect has been described as:
Black male, approximately 25 to 35 years of age, operating a silver sedan with a partial Delaware registration containing the numerals “1882” as the first four digits or displaying a temporary registration.

If anyone has any information concerning the homicide or the assaults of the other victims, they area asked to contact the Salisbury Police Department at 410-548-3165 or to contact Crime Solvers. CC# 200800026818

Editors Note: First of all, it would be nice for the SPD to provide the Crime Solvers Telephone Number with their Press Release, like the WCSO always does.

Secondly, The information provided here has been well known for more than a week now and quite frankly, I have issues with this Press Release. Like it or not, these women have been on the streets doing what they do, WITHOUT any knowledge as to what they might be looking for. At any time, any one of these women could have also been picked up and murdered as well without ever knowing what to look out for. I'm sorry but I personally feel this is BS! I have withheld this information as I did not want to interfere with their investigation, so I made the judgment call to not release the information. Hopefully all of you can tell that this was NOT an easy thing for me to withhold because I personally felt the color of the car, the type of car, the fact that the man they are looking for is a black man and a certain age. To me this is vital information. I am not a Police Officer, a Police Chief or a professional on how to handle such a case. I simply feel it was wrong for them to hold back this information for what, almost two weeks now? They're damn lucky no one else has been killed, THAT WE KNOW OF. What do YOU think should have happened?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...

"however while conducting interviews with known area prostitutes"

Is this an acknowledgment that they do exist in SBY?

Anonymous said...

Four murders in Salisbury (THE GREAT AMERICAN CITY) in eight months. Way to go Barrie!

Anonymous said...

I think this info was probably already known to the "ladies". I'm sure they have "corner" talk, just like the rest of us have water cooler conversations. Perhaps the deceased was not in the loop, or actually the first. OR, perhaps the man with the silver car is not the one who killed her. Prostitution is risky business I suppose. Perhaps they should all consider a new profession.

Anonymous said...

If they didn't want to give the information to the general public, they should have (and maybe they did, who knows) given the information to the "known area prostitutes" so they could be on the lookout for this dude.

Anonymous said...

It's outrageous that this information was withheld from the general public. I don't care where I am, I'd want to know whether the car in front of me or cruising around my neighborhood is being driven by a murder suspect. "The Girls" aren't the only ones who need to know.

Anonymous said...

I noticed yesterday that one of the "girls" had changed locations for the day. The red head in your pictures last week was in the parking lot at Staples/Circuit City. She had walked from behind the building to a car parked on the side of Staples. After a few minutes her head disappeared.

I for one hope this woman along with all of the others are watching out for one another.

As for us, we stayed until she was back out of the car safely. I had to tell myself that I know she was safe this time. I didn't know this information at this time so for my own conscious I stayed.

Anonymous said...

I think that if you can do a better job at policing than any of the men and women of the Salisbury Police Department Joe or since your better than Chief Webster then you should apply for the position of Chief or Officer and see how long you could last or how well you really do.

Anonymous said...

ummm, (baker st and anne st)..drugs and prostitution! it is a well known high drug, prostitution spot. but focus on making the 8 and 10 and because that is the main thing in sby!