Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Some Of These Solicitors Are Legit

"Joe,

It is Saturday afternoon about 3:30pm. Just had two african-american boys come up to the house soliciting The Daily Times.

He said "I'm not trying to sell you anything mister. All I want to do is GIVE you a copy of The Daily Times." I said No thanks!

He said "But I'm working my way through college... can't you help?"

I said "Son, you don't look much older than 14 or 15. I don't believe you. It's time to leave."

Joe, had it NOT been for SBYNEWS..... I would have NEVER KNOWN THIS!!!!

I called Berlin PD and officers responded quickly. The only problem was a white male in his late 40's early 50's pulled up in a RED CHEVY VAN with MARYLAND TAGS. The vehicle was too far to get a read on the license plate.

I finished with the PD on the phone and went and looked for these guys. Could not find them.

The Berlin PD met me back in my neighborhood and told me that these guys had a permit to do what they were doing from 1-4 pm.

Well, I'm sure there was more too it than what they let on.

Thanks Joe for the heads up!!!

Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!!"

Folks, some of these people are in fact working for a living. However, if you become suspicious YOU are in control of your funds and YOU can decide yes or no. The should be carrying documents from The Daily Times, ask for it and make sure they can provide you with a contact to make sure they are for real.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I thought we had child labor laws. Is the daily rag using underage kids to promote it's failing cesspool?

Anonymous said...

Not to long ago the Daily Slime did run an ad looking for people to go door to door to sell their subscriptions. Desparate people do desparate things. Looks like Greg Bassett has become quite desparate. Barries spin doesn't sell his papers anymore LOL

Anonymous said...

How can this not be a scam?

"Here's are free newspaper... oh by the way I'm working my way through college... could you spare some money?"

joe albero said...

Oh, don't get me wrong, many are scams. However, some of the ones we've been reading about are not. Just be sure to get a good hard look at their credentials before forking out any money.

Jim said...

Oh, don't get me wrong, many are scams. However, some of the ones we've been reading about are not. Just be sure to get a good hard look at their credentials before forking out any money.

9:19 AM

Like I said in a previous post... never pay up front. If you want the magazine or Newspaper you can sign up and they will bill you if legit.