Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Room 305 Goes Wi-Fi


Once the County Council wrapped up their meeting today I asked if I could speak. Mr. Cannon was happy to allow me to do so and I asked a simple, yet important question. I stated that the City Council is now broadcasting their audio files of each meeting on their Website, what's the chances of getting Wi-Fi for the Press?

Mr. Cannon stated he didn't have any real problem with that but asked, don't we already have Wi-Fi in the building? Mr. Baker responded, yes, but that's secured and I do not believe the County is going to allow anyone on the outside to use our server.

Mr. Creamer chimed in and said, you're all wrong. We already have Wi-Fi in this room and it's not secured! Mr. Baker said, I don't believe we have an unsecured access available in this room. Mr. Creamer again stated that he knows for a fact they do. He even stated he'd be willing to go get his laptop and get on the Internet right away, if we'd like? He then stated that the previous Council had approved an unsecured Wi-Fi access.

So much for my question, eh? If you know where I'm going with this, we're going LIVE from Council Meetings from here on out! I'm talking about downloading almost instant photos and instant information to you while it happens.

Joe "G" from the Daily Times was blown away by my question and their answer. He too admitted he could have saved a TON of time if he knew he could have brought in his laptop and worked right from that very room.

Nevertheless, we're going to have a BLAST with this. You wait and see though. Barrie will find a way to scramble it, you mark my words. Things are about to get real fun around here now Folks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe I found out three months ago the WI FI was online when I was up there on some business and tried to use the system . I found it to be very useful and was quite surprised that it was available to the public .

Anonymous said...

Joe, you are not press.

Anonymous said...

It should be free to the public, who do you think pays for it?