Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Greg Bassett Is Desperate



Although I haven't received my copy of The Daily Times today, I've been subjected into having to go on line and wait 10 minutes for each page to pop up. Of course that ticks me off, as you all already know.

If I wanted to be subjected to all of this I'd simply drop my subscription and go to the on line version for free. However, today is a different story since the paper just won't arrive.

We are once again subjected to the Davis Ruark situation and they are already loaded with two pages of comments hoping to stone the man to death and Bassett is loving it. He's finally learned that IF they act more like a tabloid paper they'll gain more attention, especially during times when they can't even print the paper and or get it out on a timely basis.

So take one of your friends and plaster him all over the paper and it will keep people interested. Well, first of all, it is a business, so you can't fully blame them for trying to stay afloat? I'm not exactly sure how I'd handle it if I was dependent on a job and or the livelihoods of some 200 people working there?

I will say this however. I would have been a smart enough businessman to have been an honest man and bankrolled more profits so during hard times I wouldn't have to screw my friends to keep the business alive.

Many people forget that there is such a difference between this Blog and a Newspaper that is dependent on sales. Yes, I am opinionated and I have the right to choose my battles. Many try to attack me because I can at times be one sided. That's what a Blog is. It's opinionated. IF you want the other side, there are other Blogs out there that will beat the crap out of someone like Davis Ruark and that's their right. However, on this Blog I simply won't allow that to happen and let me explain why.

A few years ago Jim Rapp was doing everything he possibly could to get me thrown into Jail, even if it meant lying. I was smart enough to carry a video camera whenever I went to the Zoo, just in case he tried pulling another stunt. Low and behold, I was right! Rapp tried charging me with 40 some odd counts of stupid stuff, including assault.

I immediately went over to Davis Ruark's Office with my Attorney and he allowed me the opportunity to show him the video. Rapp had told the Commissioner that I had used the "F" Bomb in front of children, that was a flat out lie. He also claimed I had physically assaulted him, yet I had the camera on the entire time and there was proof, there was no assault.

When I turned myself in the Commissioner said to me, how dare you curse in front of those children! I said, WHAT? She repeated, how dare you curse in front of those children at the Zoo! I looked at her and said, I didn't curse! She replied, "Are you telling me that the Director of the Salisbury Zoo, Jim Rapp is lying to me? I replied, you better believe he is and I have a video tape to prove it. That's when she slapped a $50,000.00 Bond on me! I should tell ALL of you, she can no longer have ANYTHING to do with hearing ANYTHING with the City of Salisbury and or Jim Rapp ever again. Her Boss got so ticked off at what she did to me, she even put in writing I couldn't leave the State of Maryland, knowing I resided in Delaware.

Nevertheless, Davis Ruark took the time to watch the video and saw for a FACT that I had not once cursed. In fact, it was Jim Rapp who was the one cursing and I have video proof of such to this day. There was no assault and Davis clearly saw that as well. So why does Joe Albero respect Davis Ruark? Because the man took the time to hear me out and watch that video. Davis could clearly see Rapp was on a rampage once again and bullshitting everyone with lies and I had video proof that he was doing just that. Davis also very clearly saw that I was minding my own business when several of the Zoo Staff confronted me by originally walking doe the boardwalk where I was standing at the very end and they boxed me in, (photos above).

The Mayor, Barrie Tilghman was SO DESPERATE to get me out of the Zoo, she allegedly went to Davis and told him to do whatever it took to lock me up. Davis knew Rapp was lying and refused to go after me, hence the change of venue on the case to Somerset County and another States Attorney handling the case. As a gentlemen I settled the case with their office and we all came to terms. IF I was guilty of anything, believe me, the City would have done everything in their powers to try to screw me.

In the end, Rapp is gone, Samis is gone, the lives of the animals are in much better hands and I appreciate Davis Ruark for standing up for me and I'll never forget that. Now I'm sure there are hundreds of stories similar to mine over his 20 years of service. He is an honorable man that is experiencing difficult times in his personal life right now and if you've never been there, you're the right hand of God then. The personal attacks won't do here. One other reason for that is, the States Attorney's Office has prosecuted thousands upon thousands of people who would love to get out there anonymously and kick his a$$. Are all of you that stupid that you can't see that?

Any first offender would get a PBJ, unless they were uncooperative and resisted arrest. Davis didn't do that. He didn't say he was the Wicomico County States Attorney. He offered them the gun in the car, they didn't search for it. Let this thing take its course and in the end justice will be served. In the mean time, I'm not selling papers and I'd rather everyone enjoy all the other forms of news/information we provide.

Anyhow, it's a shame Bassett would stoop so low and forget where he came from but they must sell papers. I could understand it if they exposed other stories and or ALL stories but to just go after Davis and cover up so many other Tilghman type stories is sad.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Joe!
I am no fan of what Davis did and I suppose I am not telling you anything you do not already know.
The Daily Times under the lack of qualified "Leadership" suffers from the "piling on" style of management is far easier to continually beat a dead horse, than to report news worthy events, or just interesting stories.
God forbid if Bassett and the boys cultivate a dislike for and individual. For if they do they will expend copious amounts of print ink in and attempt to discredit or out right bury that person.
If Gannett (and I am not at sure they care) does not soon recognize the seriousness of the poor quality of the paper and its management they may well be out of a readership. I remain dumbfounded that business continues to advertise in the "DD", given the poor quality of the paper especially color ads.

joe albero said...

I concur!

Anonymous said...

you go on, joe - and kudos to you for using your head and taking the camera along. just goes to show how wrongly biased a court official can be for even saying something like that to you without even knowing the facts. give 'em hell, joe!! i sure would like to know, and a so would other folks who that commissioner was. stay on it, joe, stay on it!

Anonymous said...

Anon 10:53: That commissioner is history, I believe. And well she should be for the way she treated ALL people like they are the dirt of the earth. Me and my wife went before her to bail Joe out and she was flat out rude to us. Good shes gone, is my take on it! Yes, Joe, I agree that Davis deserves another chance. We all make mistakes in our lives and usually come out them for the better. I would expect nothing less from Davis, after 20 years of solid SA work for this area.

A. Goetz

Anonymous said...

Good article. I stopped my subscription last year.

Don't let up on them.

Anonymous said...

i stopped my delivery of the times years ago, and for the same reasons Joe has cited in some of his blogs. whatta bunch of liars, pansy-asses and kiss-offs. i read just a couple of issues to know what biased HORSESH!T they were priniting. they would have you to think that all is just peachy around here - no problems ever in OUR area. BULLSH!T.

Anonymous said...

Greg Bassett is a JACKASS. don't let up, Joe!

Unknown said...

Once again the Daily Times failed to deliver! Yesterday (Wed.) we were told it would be 3 or 4 hours late. Guess what? Yesterdays paper arrived this morning and there was no Thursday morning paper! I called the Circulation Director, Jason Cunha and had to leave a message as he didn't answer the phone. No call back and still no paper. We ought to recycle their paper on their front lawn out there in Northwood.

Anonymous said...

Joe i respect the reason that you defend him. however. right is right and wrong is wrong. He still broke the law. I love my children dearly. however if they broke the law i would NOT condone their bad behavior. I would still love them support them and be there for them but i cannot defend them for bad behavior. He broke the law and now needs to pay the piper. friends also dont take advantage of friends. Friends dont put friends in that position.

Anonymous said...

I agree the community is ultimately the group that makes the rules.

We the community are trying to make the rules however, people with poor morals, bad judgment, vendettas, greed, are trying to make the rules. We can easily see that the two "sides" are always at odds. Joe and others who are willing to stand up and be counted are the only way that we as a community are ever going to be informed with correct information, at least until Barry Parsons Tilghman and her lapdogs are gone.