Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 06, 2008

BREAKING NEWS

Calling ALL Wicomico County Landfill Contractors! I've been informed Wicomico County charges a $600.00 or $800.00 fee to set up an account at the County Landfill for Contractors.

That being said, I have a Contractor friend of mine that happens to be somewhat unique in the fact that "he" actually takes ALL of the debris from his work sites and personally brings it to the Landfill.

Several times over the past few years he has pulled up to the scales and has been asked to pull over and come inside. He was then told he had outstanding bills and they REFUSED to allow him to drop off his load unless he made things current.

IF someone else was making these dumps for him, that would be one thing. IF he was someone notorious for not paying his bills, that would be another. However, in his case he's not guilty of either and the County was wrong.

However, he has a business and must continue to dump there so he simply paid the bills and that was that. After all the hoopla going on lately he finally confronted me and expressed his concern and believe that workers at the Landfill may have in fact been allegedly allowing others, (friends) dump their loads on his account and perhaps pocketing whatever fee they charged these alleged friends.

Have YOU experienced the same problem? Sheriff Mike Lewis wants to know. It seems that no matter how you look at this Landfill, they may have been pulling things every possible way imaginable. Your help is required here. If you know of local Contractors who dump at the County Landfill and have accounts there, ask them if this has been a problem or their experience as well and lets see if we can get to the bottom of this now.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like I said in a earlier post, I went to the landfill to get some mulch. I had taken a lot of shrubs there that I've cut down in the yard and they take that stuff for free, however they do sell the mulch that they make from the old tree trimmings, wood, pallets and all sorts of stuff.

When I did go there to buy some mulch, I did notice that I did not get a reciept for the purchase and I do think he did just put the money in his pocket. It was a couple years ago, but I DO remember that I didn't get a reciept because I thought that was strange, government? No paperwork?

Anonymous said...

Most public landfills don't charge for mulch/compost. Are you sure they aren't just ripping you off?

Anonymous said...

You mean there are public landfills that grind up brush and give the mulch away for free? That process costs a little money considering the equipment, labor and fuel costs. I dont see from a business standpoint why they would give it away for free when they can charge a nominal fee to offset the costs.

Anonymous said...

WOW. Talk about a bunch of crooks. I wonder how long they've been running that scam?

Anonymous said...

you people are really to carried away with this.....theres more hoopla than needed over this. Its probably not as bad as being reported. Lets wait and see. The rumors and bad informations helps no one.

Anonymous said...

Well now that I just found that out it must have been a scam. I can understand why they would sell it. I mean it was cheap enough, however maybe for the operator.

No matter, I still didn't get a receipt. Show me a government office that doesn't have copies of everything in triplicate, and I'll show you an empty room.

Anonymous said...

You have to go over to the scale house and pay them $10 for a load of mulch. They give you a receipt and you take it back across the road to the mulch yard to get loaded. Show the guy your copy and he'll load you up. That is how I've always done it. Can't beat $10 for a pickup load of mulch.

Anonymous said...

The operator of the mulch lot didn't tell me I had to go to the scale house, he just loaded me up.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he needed lunch money. :) Makes you wonder how many $10 loads have been "sold" without receipts. I know there are many many people that go there to buy mulch, I've waited in line at least 45 minutes to get a load. It doesn't take that long to put one bucket on a pickup. It's one of those things that they can't/don't inventory.

Anonymous said...

the mulch is $10 a yard. What pisses me off is that as a commerical landscaper i have to pay 27.50 per ton of brush. they take that can make it into mulch to sell back. Another thing that pisses me off at the landfill is the commerical guys that get to dump for free and nothing done to stop it. I said something to the scale house attendenta about one guy i caught in there like 3 times with out scaling in or out. She oh he is still doing it.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Looks like we need an audit of the operations out at this landfill. Or better yet, we need our County Adminisitrator to get on top of all this and make whatever changes are necessary to insure an honest operation. Looks like Mr. Sharma didn't have enough time to check on this operation and they knew it out there.

A. Goetz

Anonymous said...

Giving cash to the mulch guy has been one of the biggest scams going on at the landfill for years now.