Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Dog/Cat Park?

Let me get this straight. At a time when there are a huge number of families losing their homes to foreclosures, gas prices are projected to hit the $4.00 a gallon mark, people are having a hard time finding enough grocery money to feed their families, and we are going to spend $10,000.00 in Open Space money on a Dog Park? Do people feel that money also grows on trees? Do they not understand that it is tax dollars? Are bureaucrats so removed from the real world that 10k is a pittance that can be tossed at any pie in the sky project like it's chump change.

Wouldn't the homeless shelters in the area love to get their hands on that money? Or how about the Humane Society? I keep hearing that one of the back lashes of the foreclosure problem is the number of pets that are getting dumped at shelters and literally on the streets. I bet that money would certainly help with that problem. I know about it all to well because someone keeps dropping off their cats on our road. They even show up with collars on but will scavenge any free food they can find. Its pretty sad.

So why not a Dog Park in the City Park. As I already pointed out, the show dog crowd won't use it and it's an awful big chunk of money for a one week show and a weekend show. Local pet owners already use Picnic Island and the rest of the City Park to walk their dogs on leash. Just ask the folks that use the horse shoe grounds how mad they are at dog owners that keep allowing pooping pooches into their fenced area to relieve themselves. From a health stand point you are walking your family member through one of the most heavily infested raccoon areas in the city, with the exception of the dump. They're there because of the river and the abundance of free food at the Zoo. Ask the Zoo Staff about the number of rabid/distemper carrying raccoons that are trapped and euthanized in that area. And that's right where your walking your beloved family member.

Logistics are also a problem. Not much room there and lets squeeze in a skateboard park and the existing pavilion and where the heck is a dog supposed to run other than in circles. Are they going to clear out the woods right there next to the river?

Then there's the question, who's going to keep it clean? You can't police everyone visiting the site and believe me, plenty will not clean up after their animals. So now the Public Works Department will be in the cleaning up dog sh!t business as well? I'd bet most of the people working there won't appreciate that very much. That being said, there goes the taxpayers money once again.

I have been to almost every single City Council Meeting for the past 3 years or so and let me assure you, they do NOT want to be GIFTED these kind of projects because they know, (for example) if a Developer gifts the City with a Playground, someone is going to be responsible for maintaining it. So open your eyes Ladies & Gentlemen, this project will flop and it will become an exact example of the Salisbury Zoo and fall in the pockets of the taxpayers in the very near future.

Once earlier comment mentioned another perfect location off of Beaglin Park Rd. I believe it used to be a part of the Boy scouts at one point and time. It's far more open space and IMO if you were to truly think of anything for the location proposed, it would make far better overflow parking for the Zoo.

OMG, that's right, someone might have to cross a street! Let me tell you people a little something about that fear. I grew up in NYC. We played stick ball in the streets as there was no Open Space to speak of in the immediate neighborhoods. I can't think of one person who was killed by a car. Teach your kids to LOOK BOTH WAYS before they cross the street and quit pampering the crap out of them.

So what about a Cat Park next? There are as many Cat lovers as there are Dog lovers. We would like to see a Horse Park. You know, a space we can take our horses and ride for the day. Oh, that's right, we'd probably have to pick up after our horses as well and that wouldn't be cool either.

I was also thinking about the Families that go to that pavilion for reunions and special events. After all, that's what that area was designed for and currently used for. I wonder just how comfortable these people are going to be visiting that area now with a ton of barking dogs?

Once again, (IMO) the Mayor has brought forth another stupid idea not well thought out. What's your thoughts?

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

These stupid ideas are starting to overlap each other...can't we get finished working thru just how dumb ONE idea is before they bring up another? This is very stressful for those of us who happen to have some logic in our thought processes.
DG52

Anonymous said...

You know, not everyone who ownes a dog is going through foreclosure. Some of us pay our bills and would also like to have a place to take our dogs to run off the leash with other dogs. As a taxpayer, shouldn't I be able to enjoy some benefit from my taxes and not just shell out money to bail everyone else out. BTW, I do pick up after my dogs.
CJ

Anonymous said...

Joe, I feel you are right and you are wrong. I don't have facts about the dog park -- do you? I do believe if it were controlled right..and that starts from the administration, it could be a great asset to a lot of city residents, who have no place to walk their dogs (whom most of these animals are considered members of their family) it would give them a small area to socialize with other dog owners and their dogs. We all no that it is a county law to pick up after your pet, there should be plenty of trash cans available. If there were educated dog people sitting on a committee to make sure it was done properly I think things would work, UNLESS... administration got too involved. Dogs are pack animals, they need the exposure with other dogs to be better in their socialization skills. I am one of those people that don't let their show dogs go onto grass, I do have more than one or two dogs. But when I open up their courtyard to the yard and let them run with each other, no leashes to hold them back..the expressions on their muzzels says..."Boy, this is heaven!" So before you try to deny all the appartment bound dogs from this opportunity, think about that. Cathy-Jo

Anonymous said...

We already have a dog park IMO. The trail that runs along the zoo and park is perfect for walking or running your dog on a leash.

Dogs should not be allowed to be in public off your property without a leash. I am a dog lover having several myself who get to run in my fenced yard.

I know not everyone has the luxury of a fenced yard but you need to consider this when you adopt or purchase a dog. It is a key element of giving back to the animal.

You need to consider the breed when you adopt and how you will require them to live.

The space they have dedicated at this time is riddled with sand burrs. My dogs get them in their pads every time we walk there.
Riverrat

joe albero said...

"As a taxpayer, shouldn't I be able to enjoy some benefit from my taxes and not just shell out money to bail everyone else out."

Funny thing here. Aren't the TAXPAYERS shelling out $10,000.00 to help you and your Dog out?

It's SAD to see how American's have come to become pampered and forget so easily where they came from.

Anonymous said...

The main problem with the dog park is the site itself - a quiet and natural area of the City Park that will now become chaotic -- noisy and possibly foul smelling. But the real issue is that it is way too small to have an appropriate dog park -- only about one-half acre (total) that's fenced, in two separate areas.

On a nice weekend, there could be 40-50 or more dogs using it at any given time, which will result in overcrowding and the consequences -- more fighting, mess and clutter. There is almost no area for expansion.

And without on-site management by the City, there will be a whole range of problems -- including owners who fight more than their pets, sick dogs that are brought and abandoned, etc.

Anonymous said...

How much will this madness cost the taxpayer and where is the money coming from? Is it just for City residents' dogs or will mine be able to use it?

Anonymous said...

Joe:

Somebody at the GOB just told me that Public Works is already tearing up the site for the dog park, and it is estimated to cost almost $50,000 for a 1/2 acre dog run, but the special state funds are only about $10,000.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that they would put this next to the Kiwanis Pavilion. We often go their for family events in the summer and now it will be obnoxious with those dogs all over the place. The Zoo has become a disgrace, and now this shi_hole.

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe yeah its me again. I am a dog lover and my dog is one of the most spoiled dogs around. Yes he has a great life. However consider this. What if you charged the dog owners an annual fee for residents and the non-resident fee being slightly higher. This would pay for the dog park and then be another source of income for maybe the zoo or other worthy causes. Also there should be a doggie bag station where you can get the bags to clean up after your dog. I always have cleaned up after my dog. I believe if you check it out Ocean City already has a dog park and they charge for itJust another option maybe you didn't think about.
Connie Taylor

joe albero said...

Connie,

I have no problem with a Dog Park. I actually think it would be a fantastic concept. However, this location is exactly opposite from what the Idiot Mayor was complaining about just two weeks ago.

She wants to blame the pollution in the River on Dogs and Pigeons and IMO she's a complete nut job. Nevertheless, I believe this location is a very poor one for the following reasons. One, it is right on the River, that's not good. You can clean up the poop but the pee will find its way into the river, period.

Secondly, the size is simply way too small. If you're going to invest almost $50,000.00 into this Park, do it where they will have room to grow. Do it in an area you can actually play with your pet.

A confined area such as this one will come back and bite them in the butt.

Again, this is my opinion and if you look at the Zoo as a perfect example, they've outgrown it and it too needs to be relocated. Barrie Tilghman was a House Wife tuned Mayor. She's proven time and time again to be clueless about running a business and I mean this with no disrespect towards Housewives.

If you want to argue that point, show me what project Barrie Tilghman has done to better Salisbury. Not Developers, the taxpayers.

joe albero said...

Oh, I should add, your ideas are very good ones. Hopefully the people involved are paying attention.

Anonymous said...

Well if they are already tearing up the place for the dog park, why even discuss anything. Damn, City Hall has done it again - do whatever they want, then get approval later.

joe albero said...

No one is doing anything down there. They are working on the parking area next to the pavilion.

There used to be a bunch of rip rap stone lying there and it was dangerous, so they've removed it. The rumor of something already starting is false.

Anonymous said...

Well wait until someone with an aggressive pitbull shows up for "fight" practice kills someone elses dog and flees the area. How quick until someone sues the city over the unattended or supervised dog park. Dog fighting is prevalent around here and this would be used by some gang banger or hood thug to get some practice in before a bi fight. Just keep an eye on all the thug life people walkign around and letting menacing pitbulls run loose. Yeah I know they aren't all violent, but do you want to take the risk?

Anonymous said...

to the moron who thinks a menacing pitbull might injure another dog, ALL BREEDS KILL. ALL BREEDS CAN KILL. ALL BREEDS HAVE AGGRESSIVE TENDENCIES. When idiots like yourself realize this, the stigma will go away. im hardly a thug, i own a pit, and two chihuahua's... id let my pit spend the night with my grandmother, but i'd never let my chihuahua's ... think before you type... dog parks exist all over the world, why would salisbury's dog park instantly become a haven for pitbull fighting? please.

Anonymous said...

I think a study should be done to define the number of dogs that live in the city versus the County. It would easy to get a copy of all the dog licenses and plot the addresses because it is the law to buy a dog license each year I believe. I own a parrott.Then mail out an interest survey to pet owners and establish the interest level.

Anonymous said...

Picking up after your dog should not be a problem if you have trained the dog properly. When housebreaking a dog we put newspaper down on the kitchen floor as a starting point and go from there. I always carry 3 folded paper towels when taking my dog outside. He will not leave a stool until I place the paper towels on the grass and tell him to poo-poo.Then I pick up the towels and stuff such in a bag.The nice thing about such training is that the dog poops where and when you want within reason.It would be embarrassing for him to poop on a busy sidewalk downtown.

Unknown said...

You make many good points. I am also very outspoken, and I'm glad someone is actually saying something. You're right. God forbid they actually raise money to increase the size of the Humane Society. I volunteer there, and it is getting crowded. Some of my favorite dogs have been there for awhile and I get worried that they won't be there when I go next, but not because of adoption. People do need to pick up after their dogs. Here's a great idea! Why don't you take your dog out in your own yard after they eat, so they can poop there, since it's such a huge task to take care of your dogs.

I do think we could use a dog park. My fiance and I are taxpayers, and I'd rather pay for a dog park and it's workers versus the road work that doesn't get done, etc. We're adopting our third dog, and we're sick of just taking them to the park and Petsmart. I think more businesses should allow pets, but then there's a new problem. I'm a dog trainer and my silent motto is "If you won't train your damn dog, then I will". God forbid people actually TRAIN THEIR DOGS!