Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Crooked Oak Update

As I commented on the earlier post, I picked up those appraisals and took them to my appraiser this morning. This evening I again spoke to the appraiser to get a feel of what this would cost me and to see if they had a feel of what they were looking at as far as a final valuation of the target property.

The answer to both questions shocked me.

First.... the appraisers advised that they found so many discrepancies and points with which they took exception that the narrative necessary to point them all out would exceed 12 pages for each appraisal. They conferred and cut the price down for me as much as they possibly could and it is still going to cost me $800.00. Wow. I expected between $300 - $500.

Second....They explained that the problems with the appraisals were greater than they imagined. They said that a more accurate estimate of the property value will be between $800,000 and $1,000,000. No More. An exact valuation could be made as soon as I agree to the price and give them the green light. Business is business.


I spoke to John Cannon and advised him of the aforementioned results. I explained that I was prepared, if necessary, to pay the fee and provide the information from my appraiser. He stated that the council was to meet on Tuesday to discuss the matter further and that he would call me to let me know the results.

I was not expecting to pay so much for the appraisal but I will do so if necessary. The discrepancies appear to be so large that we cannot let this purchase go through. This whole thing is just wrong!

Also....someone brought something to my attention this evening. Some of the people who spoke last night listed "the children" as their primary concern. If they were REALLY concerned about the convenience of having things within 3 miles, why aren't these same people complaining of the fact that their schools are much farther away than that? Interesting question.

7 comments:

Daddio said...

You are to be commended for bearing the expense of exposing this fiasco.

Not many folks are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

The taxpayers of Wicomico and the State of Maryland are indebted to you for the time, effort, and money spent on all of our behalf.

My hat is off to you!

Anonymous said...

If the county proceeds with the purchase of this parcel after all the negative publicity and contraversy that accompanies it-I believe there will be hell to pay. There are other options to be considered---brought out by several people who spoke last night. This proposed deal stinks so much that it will rival the landfill as far as the stench associated with it. Please, county council-exercise your due diligence.
Nalagirl

Unknown said...

GrandDad said:
Also....someone brought something to my attention this evening. Some of the people who spoke last night listed "the children" as their primary concern. If they were REALLY concerned about the convenience of having things within 3 miles, why aren't these same people complaining of the fact that their schools are much farther away than that? Interesting question.


Yes it is interesting. Why are they building a new Bennit HS when they should be building a HS in the Pittsville/Willards area instead of bussing them to Salisbury. That would free up more room at Parkside to transfer some Bennet students to. Thoughts anyone?

GO CAPS!!
(still have a chance to make the playoffs... please root for them!!)

Anonymous said...

Jim - Are there currently enough high schoolers in the Pittsville/Willards area for the State to consider building a high school there a priority? The State must say ok before the County Board of Ed can move forward or the County will have to pay the full cost of the building.

Anonymous said...

Grand Dad.

Thanks, fair market value is required by the Constitution. Obviously we have some of the City's tricks rubbing off on the County. the county executive is better than that. (At least I think he is) guess we will see.

I am willing to pitch in to help you pay for the appraisal. Give me a place to send a contribution.
It will be small, but that is the best I can do. George Bush has all of my money. Or is it Martin O'Malley?

Anonymous said...

grand dad , hats off to you ! joe too !for the real no spin on here.as a wicomico county resident and taxpayer thanks for all you have done again.i am tellin you and joe need to run for public office in this state.all taxpayers would be grateful to have you two on there side.

Anonymous said...

building a school on the property in question would make more sense.
it would serve hebron, mardela, all of the west side.