Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Granddad Does Good Fella's In Pittsville

OK....I just left the new Original Good Fella's in Pittsville. I met the owner, Tony. Tony is originally from Brooklyn, N.Y. His restaurant is not affiliated with the Good Fella's in Delmar, but he is partners with the guy who owns the Good Fella's in Dagsboro, DE.

It's important to note that this is basically a sub and pizza joint that serves hot meals as well.

I ordered lasagna and my wife ordered baked stuffed shells.
Each entree was served with a small garden salad that included olives (green and black) but no croutons. The dressing was a bit limited, though, as I had to settle for french and I prefer thousand island.
They serve soft drinks only because they don't have a liquor license. I was welcomed to bring my own wine but I am of the opinion that it takes more than wine and good food to create the ambiance usually associated with a fine Italian dining experience.

The food was really good. My lasagna was cooked with gound beef AND Italian sausage. The sauce was very good and the portion was more than satisfying. My wife said that her baked stuffed shells were very good as well. I felt as though the lasagna was as good or better than that which I've had at Vinni's LaRoma or Fratelli's in Salisbury, but the atmosphere at Good Fella's is not nearly as warm and inviting as the other two. It took a little while to get our food but I wasn't surprised since it's all made fresh.

Now....the price. Our bill for both entrees including drinks was $19.00 and some change. The owner was very friendly and came out several times to see that we were well taken care of.

We will try their pizza this Friday. I've heard from several people that it's bangin'.

I will definitely go back from time to time, and we will probably order lunch and carryout quite a bit. I will, however, not opt to go there for a nice romantic dinner or to entertain out of town guests. I would have to say that we definitely needed Good Fella's in this area. I hope it's succesful.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that I know he is not affiliated with Delmar Goodfella's I'm more likely to try them.

Anonymous said...

Chef Boyardee is better than Fratelli's, lol.

Then again, Olive Garden is 100 times better than Zia's.

Anonymous said...

If granddad eats there, they must serve doughnuts also.

Anonymous said...

The Olive Garden is one of major employers of ex-cons in this area, due to a govt subsidy to do so. Do you want a little Hepititus C with that garden salad, sir???

Anonymous said...

I wish godfellas all the best. But La Roma is the place for me. Tried many other places, some great, some awful, but always come back to the good homemade food, laughter & family atmosphere at Vinny's.

Anonymous said...

Fratelli's has the best crabcakes in the world!

Bob said...

Yep...doughnuts and coffee too.

joe albero said...

OK, OK, OK! I'm in. Just tell me when and where. WUIT making me suffer!

Anonymous said...

I know it's not a so called family owned or original restaurant but if you haven't tried Carrabba's in West Ocean City right across from the outlets, you are truly missing out. Their shrimp scampi appitizer is wonderful, everything that I have had there is awesome. House salad dressing is homemade everyday and it has a great atmosphere you can watch them cook your food as the kitchen is in the front of the restaurant. They have pizza but I have never tried it. They are also not overly priced, four of usually go and have drinks with our dinner and it might be $150 total. Well worth it TRY IT!

Anonymous said...

I went there today and ordered there pizza.... I am very happy these guys are in this area. It was very good. only small problem they will not be able to take a credit card untill next week. so make sure you take cash.... Well worth it!