Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Fellow Blogger David K. Kyle Agrees About Blognetnews


"Some of us have known the system was flawed for a long time now, and was being manipulated with crossposts. When Blognetnews initiated the system they did not realize its vulnerabilities as they figured a link to another blog was someone showing to their readers something they found to be interesting or of note. Linking the same exact post on two sites is hardly pointing out a good post worthy of reading. Of course some of my posts are worth reading twice but I am content to let them be read from the same site. Anyway the head of BNN told me months ago they were working on a fix. While I am surprised at the time it took I knew it was coming. I don't know why you take what happened out on BNN, it is not their fault from what I know of the whole issue.

In reality while BNN calls these blogs the most influential, it has nothing to do with influence. A blog can only be influential if people are willing to listen and heed advice given. Most certainly while touted as a statewide influence most of these blogs don't even come close, but are focused on what happens in their locality. As local news from Salisbury is of no interest to me, or Anne Arundel County politics to you is there really any influence if I read a post on your blog?
Regardless of all that, we shall see if the system is fixed once and for all, because I know how frustrating it is when you work hard at something only to be gamed out of credit."

AMEN!

However, I'll add, Blognetnews uses ALL Bloggers to sell space with advertising and they do what to earn their money?

I firmly agree that many of us work VERY hard and put in countless hours running around to meetings and actually participate in getting the information and we're usualy not paid a dime for such.

Red Maryland, AKA, Maryland Politics, AKA Brian Griffiths and Mikel Schwartz are playing this to the hilt and they can deny it all they want, MOST people cannot stand Brian Griffiths. Now don't get in a tizzy over that statement Brian because there are just as many that can't stand me either. However, YOU do NOT see ME begging YOU to put a link to ME on YOUR Site. Never have, never will. However, Brian had been begging for months to get a link on my Site and I refused to do so and once again, I was right.

There was another flaw Blognetnews had that they recently changed. You used to be able to go on there and vote as many times as you wanted on a Blog. They did fix that but do tell me, what does Blognetnews do for Veteran Bloggers? Then there was the Anti Albero Bloggers who would go on there and give me a VERY poor rating in the hopes of making sure I was not in the top 10 every week. They too could vote over and over again.

It seems once a Blog becomes established, the only thing Blognetnews does for them is, well, NOTHING! By then, most people have saved that Blog as a favorite and they don't need Blognetnews to help promote them. It seems to be a great place for Bloggers just starting out.

Here's the main screw up of Blognetnews though. Do you realize that once you put an article up there and someone clicks on it, you do NOT get credit on your own Blog for hits? Blognetnews retains those Hits. When you're selling Ad Space, this screws you up because the more hits you get, the more valuable the Blog becomes. While many others wonder why I enjoy the hits I do, I know when and if I ever do something with Advertising and or perhaps sell my Blog, mine is worth far more than anyone else's. It's NOT about the glory of hits. Hell, I was the #1 lighting company in the World for years. Who cares! What really made my success was the FACT that I made more money than ANY lighting company in the World!

When I get into something and I give it my all, my goal is to make it the very best. Blognetnews is slowing me down, period. So was it really a reward to be #2 in the State this week? Or was it simply because GA & I cross posted? The answer is, WE did NOT earn it and I'll tell you why. GA wasn't even on the chart two weeks ago. You don't go from being #20+ to being #3 without any help. So NO, they didn't fix a thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe,

There are a few factual errors in your comments on BNN.

This is absolutely false: "Do you realize that once you put an article up there and someone clicks on it, you do NOT get credit on your own Blog for hits? Blognetnews retains those Hits. When you're selling Ad Space, this screws you up..."

BNN only posts the first few sentences of your posts so that anyone wanting to read the whole thing has to click through -- thus giving you traffic that helps you sell ad space.

This is only true if by "recently" you mean eight months ago: There was another flaw Blognetnews had that they recently changed. You used to be able to go on there and vote as many times as you wanted on a Blog.

You ask what does BNN do for veteran bloggers? We make the Maryland public affairs blogosphere easily searchable, we give Maryland bloggers a headline service they can use to promote each others latests posts (note the links in the service go directly from blog to blog, cutting BNN out of the middle), when there is news in Maryland we make it easy for BNN users in other states to click straight through and see what the Maryland blogosphere is saying.

Most people think that is pretty useful.

Anonymous said...

Also from the Department of Useful:

A few weeks back we just launched something called FeedCentral:

at www.blognetnews.com/feedcentral

It allows anyone to slice and dice and remix the Maryland blogosphere in ways that will get them links to the posts they want and then has them delivered by hourly email, daily summary, to mobile devices, rss readers or a widget.

Our theory is that the more useful Maryland blogs are to more people the more traffic Maryland blogs will have. One way to make Maryland blogs more useful is by letting people combine them and customize the information they get.

Making that easy takes some significant programming work and the database servers to makke it all run smoothly are not cheap.

joe albero said...

That's ALL very interesting. I wonder why none of the Bloggers participating knew about this?