Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Message From The Retired Director Of Wicomico County Library


Well, I certainly tried to put small libraries in the towns out side of Salisbury during my 18 years at the helm of the library downtown. In fact, I was told by the County Council President, my good friend Vic Laws, back when I first took over the library and we began building the extensions on the old Armory, that THIS new building was to be THE library for Wicomico's people for the next 50 years. So, I had to back off my thinking and concentrate on a new bookmobile to serve the outlying area's better. And we did.

So, I am not so keen about a new library building downtown as seems to be the thinking now. I agree yet, with the thought that we best try to serve the outlying towns people better and a new downtown library can wait. Besides that current 50,000 square foot building is quite energy efficient, with its solar panels carrying 70 to 75 % of the heating needs in winter, and offering plenty of Internet access there and lots of other materials, including the Maryland Room collection. I think if anything, perhaps enlarging the building through some renovations/additions would be best right now.

It houses the Regional Library as well. Why not move it or close it (since I believe it no longer serves a needed purpose, which was originally to help the other shore counties with materials and tech assistance for their small libraries, which can now stand on their own and are now bigger). If you move or close the Regional Library, it will free up quite a bit of space for other uses by the library.

Sorry Tom, but that's how I feel about this proposal, but in your favor I do support such a vision of a new library, but not for right now or the immediate future.

A. Goetz

2 comments:

dan said...

Thank you for this message. I have yet to understand why there is suddenly a pressing need for a new building for the library. I have always thought the location is great (especially with the parking such a premium downtown,) the building provides lots of space, architecturally it is very interesting on the inside, and seems to have plenty of room and access for everyone.

This is starting to smell like the push for the new firehouse. Before we will have a chance to think, a few million dollars will be spent, there will be a large empty building downtown (as if we need more of them) and no one will really be happy with the results.

Why aren't more people with historical ties to this subject (as the author) involved in the conversation?

Thank you for this prespective.

Anonymous said...

Art:

I completely agree with your excellent commentary.