Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

''Dead'' Man Sits Up In Coffin At His Wake

This is the stuff of bad horror movies--but in this case, it's real. An 81-year-old man from Angol, a small village in Chile, shocked grieving relatives when he woke up in his coffin at his own wake.

Agence France Presse reports that Feliberto Carrasco was found limp and cold by his family, who assumed he was dead. After all, he was 81 years old. Instead of calling a doctor, they called the funeral home. They dressed Carrasco in his finest suit, placed him in his coffin and held a wake to bid him farewell.

There was just one problem. Carrasco may have been limp and cold, but he wasn't dead, "I couldn't believe it. I thought I must be mistaken, and I shut my eyes," Carrasco's nephew Pedro told the daily Ultimas Noticias. "When I opened them again, my uncle was looking at me. I started to cry and ran to get something to open up the coffin to get him out." Carrasco told the shocked crowd he was not in pain and asked for a glass of water.

No comments: