Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, June 11, 2020

‘You won’t need to abolish us – we won’t be around for it’: Why I and many of my colleagues are quitting as US police officers

Travis Yates is a serving police commander in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He is a doctoral student in Strategic Leadership, a graduate of the FBI National Academy, and the author of "The Courageous Police Leader: A Survival Guide for Combating Cowards, Chaos & Lies”. This article was first published on lawofficer.com

After more than 27 years in the force, I’ve had enough. These protests and riots are the final straw. The nasty words we get called all the time have now turned into rocks, bottles and gunfire. It’s over, America: we are leaving.

This is the hardest thing I have written.

I grew up in a law enforcement family. My father worked his way up to the rank of Captain at the Fort Smith, Arkansas, Police Department. As a kid I remember going with him on Friday to pick up his check and I was in awe of these super heroes he worked around.

My dad sacrificed a lot and so did my late mother. Whether it was the week-long surveillance or wiretap or chasing drug runners across the country, he gave it all for my family and worked plenty of extra details to never let our family be without. Some would call that privilege but where I grew up, it was called hard work.

More

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes please quit. Which drug runners? The cartels or purdue pharma? Just curious.

Anonymous said...

Police everywhere should either quit or get blue flu.

Anonymous said...

“It’s over America, you finally did it.” Isn’t that the truth. The Law means nothing if there isn’t someone to impose Order. And these liberal government officials and protesters want to defund and abolish the police believe that criminals and thugs will impose self-Order upon themselves and we’ll all live in a much happier world? I shake my head in total disbelief when I read, hear and see these fools make this claim. Go ahead and destroy your future. Like Travis Yates says, “I don’t care anymore. You’ve done this to yourself.” On a personal note, I have the resources and knowledge to live a safe and comfortable life. But it won’t be here in Salisbury Maryland. Do you?!? I doubt it.

Anonymous said...

What pathetic comments. If you want to see where we are headed look at law enforcement in Latin American, where LE are scared to take the job or corrupted in order to stay on the good side of the cartels.

Anonymous said...

That’s a stupid comment.

Anonymous said...

Can’t blame him. I would do the same. He is one of many.

Anonymous said...

At least he's honest about it. All these so called takeovers will implode when the money runs out.

Anonymous said...

bye Felicia....don't forget to leave your taxpayer funded pension at the door...

High Desert Dawg said...

I agree! If all cops are gonna be assumed "racist", Why Should they risk their lives every day? If their employers are not going to support and stand behind them, but will stand behind the mob, then I don't blame them! If the wanna be "Gangsta's" don't realize just how much cops do every day to save their dumb asses, just wait and see how quick these PUNKS are gonna wish cops were around, when they start F#&king with WE THE PEOPLE......They have NO clue to the Pandora's box they'll open! Cops are NOT the problem...the Police unions and the MASSIVE donations they make to the very people that are condemming the cops are the REAL problem!

Anonymous said...

So quit! Im sure you have a nice retirement coming. Perhaps this is the point; time for the old guard to step donw and let the young folks step up. Enjoy FL life

Anonymous said...

Blah, blah it is no fun on the losing side. Wrong is wrong police have been getting away with it for years. The majority of officers are the kids I. School with no voice, socially inept, non athletic, and an introvert personality. But once they get a gun and badge instant power to write the wrongs of the miserable childhood. Those are the ones who makes it bad for the good ones.

Anonymous said...

He still gets his pension.

Anonymous said...

Aside from false claims against police, there is some truth to police brutality, abuse of power, corruption, conspiracies amongst themselves, and the like.

Of course, not ALL are guilty, but enough are to affect the rest of the officers and the public. Stop with that so-called 'bad apple' crap. It is no longer just a few of them, there are multiple bad apples, (ugh) and their actions are becoming more well known and widespread.

I get pissed whenever I get a ticket, just like everyone else. (which I deserve) But I still want them around. If you haven't bumped into one of these 'bad apples' in your life consider yourself lucky.

The good ones still outweigh the bad but it is past time to clean house.