Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, April 15, 2019

Divorce, Grief Really Can Stress the Heart

For some people, the stress of dealing with a particularly rough patch in life or trauma might also strain the heart, a large new study suggests.

The research, based on over 1.6 million Swedish adults, found those diagnosed with a stress-related disorder faced a higher risk of suffering a heart attack or other cardiovascular trouble over the next year.

The disorders ranged from adjustment disorder – which comes in response to difficult times like a divorce, death of a loved one, or financial troubles – to post-traumatic stress disorder. PTSD is diagnosed when a person has lingering and severe stress reactions after a life-threatening event – such as a serious accident, a natural disaster, or an assault.

The findings do not prove those stress disorders actually triggered heart complications, experts said.

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look up the Holmes and Rahe Stress Scale.

Anonymous said...

and staying in a bad marriage will kill ya

Anonymous said...

The stress of living in a bad marriage can kill you quick. I found divorce to be literally liberating. My health is better, my stress levels are WAY down, my diet is better, and my house is better kept. I have found my joy again. I am so glad she is gone. I was worried about the effect a divorce was going to have on my life. Now I realize it is the best thing that has happened to me in a very long time. Life is good! A marriage to a unloving, uncaring woman is bad for a man. It is best to get out of that unhealthy relationship, whatever the cost. Trust me, its worth it. Men can always go out and make more money. Men, don't put off divorce because you think you can't afford it. You can't afford not to do it, if it is killing your health to stay in the marriage.