The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Girl paralyzed after potentially deadly tick bite

WHEELING, W. Va. (WTRF) — A young girl in West Virginia recently woke up unable to move her legs or get out of bed because of a potentially deadly tick bite, doctors said.

The girl’s mother rushed her to a nearby emergency room where doctors were able to quickly diagnose the issue.

“Her mom actually worked as a veterinary tech and told us that she had seen similar things in animals,” said EMSTAR emergency medical resident Stephanie Thomas.

Still, the situation was concerning because the mom checked her daughter over and couldn’t find the tick. It turned out to be hiding under her long hair.

“One of the things that we try to do, is examine our patients very thoroughly and the girl has a nice, pretty long, ponytail,” Thomas said. “We actually take the ponytail out and we’re looking through her hair and we find a nice big tick at the base of her ponytail.”



Anonymous said...

When the hell did this happen,it seems like it's a little in the year for ticks?

Anonymous said...

article is dated recently and ticks usually come out when temperatures get above 45 degrees.