Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, October 20, 2017

TV ratings show most NFL teams losing local support

The NFL’s national television ratings are down 7.5 percent this year, but it’s not just the national TV audience that’s struggling: The vast majority of teams are seeing their local ratings down as well.

According to Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com, 25 of 31 teams are drawing lower local numbers than they did in 2016. The Chargers aren’t included in that number because they’re playing in a new market this year, although it’s clear that the Chargers are struggling with their local fan base as well.

Most teams in the NFL are down by more than 5 percent. The Jets, playing in America’s biggest television market, are down a whopping 37 percent. Only three teams — the Chiefs, Buccaneers and Lions — have improved their local ratings by more than 5 percent.

More

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe the ratings are accurate. The pictures of empty stands, the noticeable decline in game day jersey wearing, and the attitudes of so many I have spoken with leads me to believe the damage is far worse. The media and the NFL just don't want you to know how bad it really is. I'm happy for their pain.

Anonymous said...

I could really care less about the NFL anymore. I don't drink much and I don't gamble so it doesn't interest me.

Anonymous said...

Agreed 10am - It is much worse than the numbers show. Last night I sat down to watch the NFL game and ended up watching the entire Dalton vs Hoyas high school football game. Never turned on the NFL and even did not know score until I came to work. I used to watch every NFL I could and would monitor scores for all teams. The NFL cry babies can take a hike!! I will still watch, but it is only about 10% of what I did and suspect it will become less in the future. And if they strike - its over!!

Anonymous said...

As far as I am concerned, the NFL no longer exists.

Anonymous said...

You want to see things change VERY quickly?
Simple:
Watch the games, but vow to boycott ALL the sponsors of the game (commercials) on TV for 30 days.
I assure you that things will turn around damn near overnight.

Anonymous said...

Spot on 10:00 media continues with there fake news.

Anonymous said...

I simply do not watch the games any longer.

Anonymous said...

Best thing to do is take all of them off TV then no one has to worry about ratings, nothing but a bunch of cry babies anyway. Grown men acting like they do is disgusting.