More than three years ago, a Mexican teenager crossed the border into America at a Border Patrol check point. After the authorities found a suspicious liquid in his backpack, the teen voluntarily drank some of the liquid. He claimed it was apple juice he’d bought across the border. It wasn’t. It was meth in a liquid form.
He died shortly after. And now the federal court in San Diego has awarded his family $1 million to settle a lawsuit with his family.
Cruz Marcelino Velázquez Acevedo, 16, died from a massive overdose on Nov. 18, 2013. He drank the liquid in an attempt to fool the border patrol agents interrogating him.
The family’s lawsuit alleged that “the two agents told a young man to drink the liquid to prove to them that it was fruit juice and not a drug.” Eugene Iredale, the family’s attorney, told the court that he “did that, and as a result, he died.”