Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Pit bull that mauled boy had terrorized town: neighbors

A ferocious pit bull that has previously terrorized residents of a Rockland County town attacked a toddler as he played with other kids on an area street, leaving him mauled on the face and in need of stitches, officials said Friday.

Surveillance footage of the horrific attack, posted online, shows the dog charging at the 3-year-old, dragging and tossing him around like a rag doll at around 6 p.m. Thursday on North Cole Avenue in Spring Valley.

The boy, identified as Eli Mendlowitz, can then be seen struggling to crawl away before the dog pounces on him a second time.

Moments later, people can be seen rushing over to help, with one man pulling the canine away by its collar.

“I see the dog run across the street and bite the child. I was shocked. I was saying, ‘Oh my gosh! What happened over there?’ I saw him bite his neck. People were screaming. It was one second. It was a very, very wild dog,” said witness Motty Deutsch.

Rachel Brown, a neighbor, said that the charging pit bull missed her 7-year-old son “by a second.”

“My son feels so crazy right now. He couldn’t sleep. They were just playing,” said Brown, who added, “There was blood. Eli was screeching and then he calmed down.”

More

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

the dog just wanted a kosher snack

Smile said...

Your comment is sickening! Grow up!

Anonymous said...

We treat all dog attacks as an oops, like a lapdog nipping at the heels of an indestructible football player. We need severe penalties for those owners who keep dogs that do things like this.

Anonymous said...

Kill that pit bull,jail the owners and outlaw all pit bulls for private owners they should only be in zoos like other dangerous animals.

Anonymous said...

Another fine example of why pit bulls should be eliminated. Now the Pit bull lovers can come on hear and give the same old story that the owners didn't raise them properly. That is BS, pit bulls are just dangerous and should be eliminated, period.

Anonymous said...

When are the authorities going to grow a pair, and outlaw the ownership of such a vicious animal?

Anonymous said...

NO excuse for this...

Anonymous said...

Right 10:25. You can not "love" or "train" an inherent trait out of any dog. There are no if's and's or but's about it. It's impossible. Something at any time could trigger the dog to do what it's instincts are telling them to do. You can not humanize a dog. I have come to the conclusion that the Pit Bull lovers are the most uneducated and ignorant dog owners of all. They think dog training is a one size fits all task and it's not. The local human societies are just as clueless as are so are many of all these dog "experts" that have popped up.

Anonymous said...

And that's why I will kill any Pit Bull that crosses into my yard, regardless of being "friendly" or which neighbor it belongs to. I have a neighbor that decided to "rescue" a Pit Bull mix, and allowed it to roam on my property to get exercise and to do its business. When the dog startled me at my woodshed, I confronted her as she watched, and told her the dog was not allowed or welcome to run on my property. I was not nice, as I wanted to make myself clear. Yet she continued to allow the dog out to "run free" on my property, until I was again startled and confronted by her "rescue" that had run free on my property so many times while I was not at home, that the dog was territorial in my own yard. It stood its ground and refused to leave my yard until my neighbor called it back. I went to the edge of my property and warned the woman , in no uncertain terms, that she had been warned previously and that this warning would be by last. I told her I had nothing against dogs, but I would not be challenged in my own yard by a neighbor's dog. I told the woman that the dog would suffer consequences if I found it on my property again. She acted offended, and said it wouldn't happen again. I reminded her she had been told before, and I wasn't kidding the first time, or this time. Now I have a pissed off neighbor because I wasn't nice to her....and I don't care. Some people think that their dogs can go wherever they want to. Pit Bulls will come into my yard at the neighbors risk. Neighbors can be so ignorant sometimes. I'll shoot her dog dead the next time I am confronted by it in my own yard. Its a Pit Bull! I'll not be threatened or bit by it. She knows who she is.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100% 3:05. No one should have to live around those dogs and be in fear of their lives all the time.