(NEWSER) - For three weeks, a construction worker drank four or five energy drinks per day to help keep up with his intense workload. Then his body went haywire.
In a bizarre case Florida doctors describe in the British Medical Journal, the 50-year-old man started gulping down energy drinks on the job but suddenly began vomiting after about three weeks. Soon, his skin turned yellow, but it wasn't the caffeine or even the sugar that was the problem.
At a hospital, the man showed signs of liver damage, and a biopsy confirmed he had acute hepatitis, believed to have been brought on by high intake of vitamin B3, or niacin, found in his energy drink of choice. (It wasn't named.) Each bottle had about 200% of the daily recommended dose, reports Gizmodo.