Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

If You See a $100 Bill on Your Windshield, DON’T Touch It – Here’s What It Means

This particular scam has been going on since at least last year. Someone leaves a $100 bill under your windshield wiper. It is typically fake. You walk to your car, open the door and start your car. If you are paying attention, you look up and see the money. Most people will get out and take the money from the windshield. They won’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth. However, this is what the criminals want. That split second when you get out of your car, leave the door open and the keys in the ignition is all they need to hop in and jack your wheels. ‘Tis the season to steal and thugs get more and more creative each year, so just be aware.

From Three Percenter Nation:

The Maryland attorney general opened a new satellite office Wednesday to serve consumers in Prince George’s County, but leaders hope you’ll never need it.

In a frightening scam that’s popping up this holiday season, scammers can do more than just take your money.

It looks like a surprise holiday gift from a stranger crisp $100 bill left on your car.

“$100 looks good to a lot of people, so they probably would jump out and get it,” said shopper Michelle Giles.

That’s exactly what scammers are counting on.

“We don’t want to scare people, but we do want you to be careful,” said Asst. Attorney General – Consumer Protection Karen Straughn.

Straughn says what looks like a present is really a parking lot ploy.

“This is the holiday shopping time. This is when the criminals are going to come out. This is when the scam artists are coming out,” she said. “They’re trying to get your money and trying to get your safety in any way they can.”

7 On Your Side discovered scammers are taking an alarming approach. The Attorney General’s Office says it has gotten reports of scammers in Maryland leaving $100 bills on windshields. The lure of cash is used to carjack victims. With your car running and the door wide open, that’s all scammers need. The money on the windshield just gives them a split second of opportunity.

More

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So take it off before you get in the car

Anonymous said...

I don't use anything bigger than a $50 bill because some people don't actually see it until they get down the road a bit.If it happened to be a really nice expensive car a $100 bill possibly,but what are the odds of that happening in the bury?

Anonymous said...

What? You're going to let them knock you down and break a hip? No, just drive off. If you're meant to have that money, it will stay under your windshield wiper until you get to a safe place to retrieve it.

Anonymous said...

9:50 AM. Exactly. I always check around my car (including the windshield) before unlocking the door. Never in such a hurry to ignore common sense safety.

Anonymous said...

And I drive completely around a bank & scope it out before I go to the ATM.

Anonymous said...

O go to the atm at least seven times a night after dark. I walk through down town Salisbury all hours of the night. Usually with a wad of cash in my packet that I take out and count in plain view.

I am also carrying a 44 mag Ruger Black Hawk. My ankle piece is a compact 45 auto. I wear an old army flak vest under my jacket.

Who am I ? Rob me and find out. I must be using wrong bait Joe not one thug has approached me. One did ask for a cigarette I would have gave him one but I don't smoke.

Oh well. Is what I am doing wrong ???


Modi