Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Maryland ranked among nation’s worst states to drive

WASHINGTON — Nothing about driving in this area is tremendous, but a new survey says Maryland is one of the worst places of all.

Bankrate.com’s ratings took into account factors such as the number of fatal crashes; car thefts; car repair costs; gasoline spending; insurance premiums; and commute times, and found Maryland the fourth-worst state in the country to drive in.

Specifically, Maryland has the longest average commute in the U.S. (30 minutes, about 6 minutes above the national average), as well as the 11th-highest insurance premiums. It also ranked above average in repair costs, rate of car thefts and annual gas spending.

Maryland did, however, have the sixth-lowest rate of fatal crashes in the country — 0.83 deaths per 100 million miles driven.

More

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is also one of the most expensive ones to live in. They tax everything, including the rain!

Anonymous said...

It gets even worse when you add in PA drivers!

Anonymous said...

We have a lower rate of fatalities because the traffic moves so slowly. It's hard to get killed when going 20 mph.

Anonymous said...

Another achievement of OMalley......NOT!

Anonymous said...

DC Beltway is hell on earth.

Unknown said...

Good thing I ride a bike!!

Anonymous said...

Marylanders seem to take pride in driving like a$$88les

Anonymous said...

Well I wish you clowns on bikes would wear reflective vests! ! You idiots want to share the road but we can't see you. You have your cute helmet and tight queen lingerie on but no reflective garb.

Anonymous said...

6:20 - agreed but the Long Island Expressway and the Bell Parkway are right up there in the running

Anonymous said...

Blogger Matt Drew said...
Good thing I ride a bike!!

September 1, 2015 at 7:06 PM

always in the way and blocking the road

Unknown said...

Do I take the lane at a red light? Sure! It makes me more visible to the drivers around me and allows the driver behind me to make a legal right turn without wiping me out.
Do I return to the right after I clear the intersection? Absolutely! On a bike, I am usually the slower-moving vehicle, so I need to stay right to allow faster-moving cars to pass. I often will wave to the driver passing me, thanking them for their patience.
I am not proud to live in a state with such traffic congestion. If a few more drivers left their car at home and used their bike for short trips, congestion would improve.

Anonymous said...

That's smart growth! We just aren't smart enough to realize it!

Anonymous said...

Bikes need to pay a fee for being on the road i do in my car.

Anonymous said...

356 aka jim liarton.

Unknown said...

Responding to 10:48
Between me and my family, we have 5 vehicles on the road. I pay to have them registered with MVA, and we pay fuel taxes on each, the same as any other driver. Why do I also need to pay a fee on my bike?