Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, February 01, 2015

Remember My Survey Question Yesterday Referencing The Definition Of "Week Day"?

What you are about to read, (below) is why I decided to ask all of you that question in advance of this article. I think you'll find it absolutely amazing how your government works and what they think of YOU as a taxpayer.


Mr Albero,

I am contacting you because I feel like you may be interested in my story. You see, I live on XRXRXR Drive and there is a construction project going on behind my home. This project is in very close proximity, less than 30', to my house, and all of my neighbors homes. We have been subjected to a constant barrage of noise from this site since they began. They have worked 7 days per week, weather permitting.

My problem is that the city ordinance has specific wording that says, to me, that work will take place on weekdays only. Since they operating on weekends it seems they are in violation, so, I contacted just about everyone I could including the city council, the mayor, the city administrator, the police department, and an attorney. I started at the bottom and worked my way up with emails and phone calls. Finally, I was given some RIDICULOUS answers, and quite frankly, it looks like someone is doing something shady or has done something shady to ensure that these big contractors get what they need with little to no regard for the community. I have included my correspondence with these folks and would like you to review the responses I was given and see what conclusion you draw from this.

Below you will find the ordinance as it is currently written. It is ordinance number 1913 Chapter 8.20. It reads-

"Construction or Repairing of Buildings. The erection (including excavation), demolition, alteration or repair of any building other than between the hours of seven a.m. and six p.m. on weekdays, except in case of urgent necessity in the interest of public health and safety, and then only with a permit from the department of neighborhood services and code compliance which permit may be granted for a period not to exceed three days or less while the emergency continues and which permit may be renewed for periods of three days or less while the emergency continues. If the department of neighborhood services and code compliance should determine that the public health and safety will not be impaired by the erection, excavation, demolition, alteration or repair of any building within the hours of six p.m. and seven a.m., and if he shall further determine that loss or inconvenience would result to any party in interest, he may grant permission for such work to be done within the hours of six p.m. and seven a.m., upon application being made at the time that the permit for work is awarded or during the progress of the work."

The emails shown below include the responses. Maybe you could help me get to the bottom of this whole thing, because it sure stinks like some possible corruption here !!

Mr. Mayor,

I am reaching out to your office for help understanding one of the city ordinances. It is regarding Chapter 8.2 section J. It CLEARLY states that no construction of buildings shall take place only on weekdays. My house borders the project thats going on in the 1400 block of South Division Street. Its called "The Gathering at Salisbury." The construction crews have worked 7 days per week (weather permitting, up until yesterday) since they began the project. On the morning of the 10th I was awakened by an awful noise. It was the dilapidated front end loader that was parked a mere 30' from bedroom window. After listening to the thing for weeks prior to this day I had had enough. I went out and asked the man if he had a permit to work on Saturdays. He said He did not need a permit. I pulled up the ordinance and called SPD to respond, after I was threatened with violence if I did not leave the site. SPD and MSP arrived in short order. No permits could be produced so the men were told to leave the site. The very next day (Sunday) there was a different crew out there working. During the following week I had made contact with Housing Authority who told me that Neighborhood Services issues weekend work permits. I called them. They told me SPD issues the permits because its enforcement of city codes. So I called SPD and the LT I spoke to told me that an email had been sent stating that Saturdays were now included.

I sent an email to several council members to find out why Saturdays were included, when the ordinance is worded the way it is. Laura Mitchell contacted me and told me that Saturdays were NOT included and that she would get back to me upon further review. She called me back and said that several years ago the city attorney decided to include Saturdays as a "weekday" and that it would take legislation to change it.

When do the residents already living in This community come first? We have to put up with 20 different machines running back there from 6:45am until dark every single day. There are a couple machines that are unbelievably loud and not at safe decibel levels. I have called to report that to OSHA and waiting to see what happens there. Their deadlines and missed opportunities to work because of this reason or that reason are not OUR deadlines OR OUR PROBLEM, yet they make it our problem by forcing us to endure the constant noise and shaking of our homes from the large equipment.

Basically, I'm stating that the ordinance says that work can be performed on WEEKDAYS only. If you look up the definition of the word weekday in any dictionary it will clearly state that it means any day EXCLUDING Saturday and Sunday. It seems that their ability to work these days ONLY benefits the contractors and developers NOT the community. If the ordinance was to include any days other than Monday-Friday itshould be CLEARLY marked that way, and since it is not, the community and I are respectfully demanding that work NOT be allowed to proceed on Saturdays and Sundays. If the city officials deem either of those days suitable for working then legislation needs to be passed to amend the ordinance to say just that.

I am also requesting that if the ordinance was changed "several" years ago by the city attorney to please show me the new updated ordinance, and the legislation that took place to change it.
I know you're a busy man, but I would appreciate your assistance.

Dear Mr. XRXRXR,

At the request of the mayor, I am writing in response to your below email. Two attorneys have opined that Saturday’s should, in this case, be considered a weekday.

I will direct the appropriate departments to make sure that adequate enforcement is being provided.

If you would like to discuss this with me, I can be reached at (410) 548-3100.

Respectfully
Tom Stevenson

Hello. Thanks for the reply.

I want to say a few things about your email to me.

First, if Saturdays are considered to be weekdays, why is your office closed? Why is the Mayors office closed? Do the two attorneys you say reviewed this open their offices on Saturday? I bet they do not. So, why is it that "this case", as you put it, deserves any special or different treatment from any other noise violation in the ordinance?

Second, I have spoken to my own attorney. She has told me that unless it is specified somewhere else in the ordinance, the word "weekdays" means the normal and standard Monday thru Friday. Please show me the documentation specifying Saturday as a weekday. Please show me an ordinance that SPECIFICALLY includes this. If you can not, then one can only interpret the wording in the ordinance the way I have, the way Council woman Mitchell has, and the way EVERYONE (except you and the two attorneys) I have spoken to about this has.

Third, the opinions of all three attorneys are just that...opinions. None of them, nor you live in this area and has to be subjected to the constant barrage of equipment and men working just 30' from your home and family, and if you did your "opinions" would be quite different Im sure. The residents of this community should not have to endure this any more than what the law states. The ordinance CLEARLY states the word "weekdays", and the definition of "weekday" is "any day excluding Saturday and Sunday." That information can be located in any dictionary. There is nothing in the ordinance to specifically designate Saturday as a weekday, so therefore, it should NOT be included as an acceptable day to work without the proper permit, which is only good for three days, and, for emergency purposes only.

Like I stated in my email to the Mayor, this benefits ONLY the developer, NOT the residents which, quite frankly, makes this whole thing look shady and seem as if the network of "good ol boys" has gotten their claws into those folks that make these types of decisions.

The letter of the law should be followed "in this case" and every other case, and the law states no weekend work shall be permitted. I didnt write the ordinance, but I will do what it takes to see that it is followed. I look forward to hearing from you again soon.


Mr Stevenson,

You know as well as I do that this isn't right. You know that you would be upset if this was happening DIRECTLY behind your house and had to listen to what we have to hear DAILY. When youre at home on Saturday, after working all week (Monday-Friday because your office is CLOSED on Saturday) would you want to listen to excavators, dozers, front end loaders, skid steers, concrete pumping trucks, concrete transport trucks, dump trucks, generators, and about 50 men all working simultaneously?? Absolutely not, especially knowing theyve already had the previous 5 days to work uninterrupted. You would certainly demand that the law be followed, regardless of any attorneys opinion.

I would like to add that a petition is circulating the neighborhood to stop Saturday work. We will file this with every governmental office in the city until we are heard. If that doesn't work injunctive protection may be filed with the courts.

Lets do the right thing Mr Stevenson. Lets see that they can enjoy the right to work 55 hours per week. More importantly, lets see that this community can enjoy just 2 days free of all the noise, traffic, and dust that this construction site has brought with it.

Mr. XRXRXR,

You are correct, you and your neighbors have the right to enjoy your homes in peace. While I do appreciate and empathize with your frustration, understand that Mr. Stevenson and others are working diligently to understand the issues at hand so that we may all work to find resolution. Since you brought this to our attention, I too have tried to gather information and communicate that information to you as it comes available. I would appreciate your continued patience and understanding, especially with city staff.

As we discussed, the former City attorney was asked some years ago to give an opinion on the definition of "weekday", presumably because it is not defined in our code. While I shared with you that my personal definition of a weekend is consistent with yours - Monday-Friday - I was also deliberate in saying that it was MY opinion. Since we last spoke, I have learned that the logic behind the opinion comes from the fact that violation of this ordinance is a misdemeanor criminal offense. As such, the law requires that, absent a clear definition in the code, we must use the interpretation that is most favorable to the (would be) violator. In this case, we have been advised that this means including Saturdays as a "weekday".

It would appear that any remedy would have to come via legislative action to clearly define "weekday". That requires council action and I will do all I can to have this discussion with my fellow council members as soon as possible. In the interim, City staff is very limited in what they are able to do so, again, I ask for your patience as we work to resolve this matter.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Laura Mitchell

Mrs. Mitchell and other City Administrators,

Although I do not agree, for sake of argument, let's assume you are correct that under a criminal action, Saturday would be considered a weekday. That is simply saying that if a criminal action was brought against the violator, the standard to be CONVICTED OF THE CRIME would be to use the interpretation most favorable to the (would be) violator.

However, violation of ordinances such as these are, at the very least, also civil actions. Even if that interpretation were used in a criminal context, the interpretation in a civil context, absent definition to the contrary, would the the normal and usual interpretation by a reasonable individual. That would mean Saturday is not a weekday.

But even as to the criminal code, I will argue there is no reasonable interpretation of the word weekday to include Saturday. There is a standard rule of legal interpretation, from Supreme Court case TRW Inc. v. Andrews, 122 S. Ct. 441 (2001), among others, that states:

"It is a cardinal principle of statutory construction that a statute ought, upon the whole, to be so construed that, if it can be prevented, no clause, sentence, or word should be superfluous, void, or insignificant."

If ANY interpretation of the word weekday were to include Saturdays as well, then that would make the insertion of the work "weekday" into the statute superfluous. As such, the Court would interpret the word "weekday" to have the meaning of Monday-Friday.

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

All you people need to know is that the govt looks and treats you like a corporation... They only think of you as a number... Good or bad for the economy...

All of our laws are designed for the corporations... Which is why they have most laws hidden consent...

To the ney-sayers, look it up if you don't want to believe me... You look in the codes and laws as to the legal definition what driving vs traveling is and you will see clearly the rest of the laws....

Anonymous said...

Tom Stevens is only a yes man for Jimbo. Expect nothing good to come from him.

Anonymous said...

PLEASE STOP CALLING MY OFFICE ON THE WEEKEND!

- The Mayor

JoeAlbero said...

See, an article like this seems to be too much for people here to grasp.

Maybe I should have made it only a paragraph long to keep your attention.

The reason these kind of things continue to go on and your local government walks all over you is because all too many of you sit on the fire escape and watch the world go by without getting involved.

This article should have a TON of comments, but I guess it's too much for you to read. Oh well, at least we took the time to put it all together anyway.

Anonymous said...

If they want to use legal mumbo jumbo then one could make the case that on a standard calendar the week begins on Sunday and ENDS on Saturday. Therefore Saturday is the week end. Go to Court and get an injunction. Go find a doctor who will swear that your nerves are shot from the noise then sue them.

Anonymous said...

Shucks Joe, give us a moment to absorb it. Its only been 5 minutes.

I give this person a high 5! Good for you!

I love that she reiterated - "we must use the interpretation that is most favorable to the (would be) violator"
What the #^$^ is that about, why would the law be interpreted in favor of the violator? Nice backpedaling Mitchell.

The laws were originally written to protect the citizens not the other way around, as they are now trying to twist it.

Honestly, they are going to drag out a non answer until the project is done. They do not give a poop about the citizens. And I suggest you get your camera out documenting the date and the work.

Its time to put this out to all media, call MDT, BOC and anyone else who may take an interest.

But she is correct, unless the city puts it writing, there is a conflict. The city knows darn well they meant M-F when they wrote it.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see someone standing up instead of whining to everyone else. Hope this works out for the residents.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the same group of run arounders involved with the hazardous, life threatening conditions at Merrifield Apts. the city refuses to do anything about.

Anonymous said...

Keep it up and Sundays will be your start of the week. Sunday is technically the start of the week.

Anonymous said...

The contractors should follow regulations of the written ordinance. Opinions of the ordinance are just that, opinions, and nothing more. This is why ordinances are created, so there are no opinions.

Anonymous said...

Ocean City has a strict construction time schedule even during weekdays. It used to be no construction before 9AM so as to not awaken people on vacation.

Anonymous said...

Sue!!! ...and charge everyone involved with not upholding/enforcing the written LAW
Get to the commissioners office asap

Anonymous said...

Some of us do have jobs Joe, can't be reading as soon as you post :)

I read the whole thing and see this going no where, I would take this to a city council meeting and voice my concerns during the limited comment period.

Have you sent an email to Chief Duncan? What did she say? If the SPD kicked them off once that would set precedent that they should do it again.

Seems to me everyone is doing stall tactics till it gets finished in hopes the problem goes away like usual.

Anonymous said...

Name names. Who are the people or companies involved? Do they have phone numbers? Start calling them 24/7 until this nonsense is stopped.

Anonymous said...

The person should quit messing around, get a lawyer, and file a lawsuit. Seems like an open-and-shut case. Writing letters, etc. is nice. Writing to this blog is nice too. Only one way to force action, however.

Anonymous said...

General Contractors have to post a bond before being awarded the contract. This bond is their insurance against lawsuits for whatever reason. The city is also liable for allowing this to proceed. Tom Stevenson, Laura Mitchell and anyone else in the City will do all they can to stall and throw you off. The writer said they hired an attorney, put that attorney to work putting an end to this otherwise all you're doing is paying the attorney to review emails and ordinances. If Debbie Campbell and Terry Cohen were still on Council this would be rectified ASAP.

Anonymous said...

and don't forget, i'm sure there is "OVERTIME" when they work on the weekends. costing more taxpayer money

JoeAlbero said...

In discussing this matter with others I'd say the best thing to do here is to video them working on Saturday and Sunday with all the noise and take them, (the City) to Court.

Now, I'd agree that by demanding no work be done on the "weekends" like a Saturday or Sunday, this is not good for Contractors.

I can tell you that one of my Son's is a Contractor and IF he had to stop work on Saturday's and Sunday's it would kill his business. HOWEVER, Contractors should RESPECT the noise level of what they're doing and BID the job accordingly.

For example. If you are doing inside work, I see no problem with them working on what WE call weekends. If they're pouring a concrete sidewalk outside, what's the problem? However, if they're using a jackhammer or using equipment that makes too much noise, they are violating our quality of life.

Let this happen next door to Tom Stevenson, Jim Ireton and Laura Mitchell and one thing you and I both know, the work would stop immediately.

It's all about who you know and who you, well, know.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the 'Bury - where politicos 'Bury residents however they want.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the contractors are under pressure form the developers to perform and they are probably behind due to all the wet weather. But all that is no excuse. I agree with the others - the City will drag their feet until the work is complete. The only way to stop them is through court action and that means the citizen must shell out $$ to protect their rights. Unfortunately, you can't depend on the City to protect your rights.

Anonymous said...

You may as well sue the developer as well. In most cases, the workers there are employed by a contractor or sub-contractor.

Either way, the City won't do anything until you get their attention.

Another way to get their attention is don't cut your grass. A city employee will be there quickly.

Anonymous said...

Where are the local news bureaus?
Where is the local paper?
Is the news censored so as not to show the down side of this city?

This construction project does not directly benefit the local residents just the construction companies, general contractor, the investors and by extension the university.

I don't recall any public forum to voice concerns about this project before it was approved. Were local residents allowed to comment or voice concerns? Were there any zoning changes approved to allow this housing project to be built on what has been farmland for decades?

There are a lot of questions. I await answers from the city council.

Anonymous said...

It looks like the ordinance should be changed to read the exact days of the week that work is allowed. List every separate day. That way there would be no question.

Anonymous said...

Talk about double standards. I myself own a small subcontractors drywall co. From time to time I get called in to do remodel jobs in salisbury. Twice in two years I have had spd.shut me down in salisbury for working on Saturdays. The first time I had no clue that work was prohibited on Saturdays within city limmits. The second time was clearly me trying to buck the system. I was lucky i got no tickets and was just asked nicely to leave by spd. Now I only had two screw guns working on both jobs with no need for a generator since both properties had functioning electric outlets. These guns can be loud when in use. With the doors closed the guns would be hard to hear from any neighbor. Either way I was in the wrong and left peacefully along with my two employees. I'm guessing now after I've read this story I didn't grease anyone's pockets right or I would have been aloud to work the weekend like this contractor in the post. I would really like to hear the explanation of how this contractor can work in salisbury on Saturdays when my small 3 man company was forced out with threats of fines ?

Anonymous said...

11:16am, god forbid this happens in your backyard. And, Joe, yeah, you need to calm down, alot of us work full time & cant respond immediately--or we might just want to wait til we get in the comfort of our own homes. As for the dude this is happening to, i have two words for you & that new neighborhood..GAS & MATCHES

towjam said...

@ 12:08
I am the individual that sent this information to Joe. I'd like to know who you are, and if you would like to join my fight against the city.

Anonymous said...

You have to remember, their mentality is that it is THEIR property in the first place, not yours. You simply reside there, and must abide by THEIR rules for you.

Anonymous said...

Since the construction project is student housing for Salisbury University, Of course, all the politicos don't want to upset the largest corporation in town. The developer had months of opportunities to work since they signed. The lot was empty all summer and fall. They didn't begin until recently-- in the dead of Old Man Winter?! What the rationale for that might be-- no one knows.
The Newspaper needs to send a camera crew and photograph the mud hole back there! The local TV stations should send a crew, as well.

Which brings another concern--who will be responsible if any of the residents water tables or septic systems are damaged?

The writer of these letters should run for City Council. He/she seems to be only one with any common sense!! We need more people like that!

Anonymous said...

Like your reply...where ARE the news media!?

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for this individual, who has done all the right things and continues to be ignored. As Joe says, it is up to city residents to voice their opinions at council meetings, site demonstrations, etc. Any ideas for residents getting together to make some noise about this injustice? Perhaps a national station like CNN will pick up the story from Joe's blog and shine a light on all of this incompetence and corruption.

towjam said...


The ordinance was written to supposedly protect the community, but it is not protecting anyone in the community at all, except the developers and contractors.Imagine if this was going on behind your house...I sent Joe some video of how loud and how close it is to all of us. We deserve the two days break from the noise, traffic, and dust. They seem to be behind the 8 ball with their deadlines, and the project is scheduled to be open to 200 new students by August. Their deadlines and delays are not the problem of the community that lives around this site.
The ordinance CLEARLY states the word "weekdays" and the definition of weekday is "any day excluding Saturday and Sunday." If they meant for it to include Saturdays, it should read SPECIFICALLY that. The gentelman who commented above was kicked off a job site on a Saturday, not once, but twice!!! Gillis Gilkerson and Terra Firma were asked to leave the site on January 10th by Salisbury City Police. Then early the next week, suddenly and magically, there was an email issued to the City Police(by whom I was not told) that said Saturdays were now included as a "weekday" and work could resume on Saturdays in the future. Now how did that happen so quickly??? Who scratched who's back so rapidly and effectively, yet they tell me to be patient while they "work diligently to find a solution?"
FOLLOW THE LETTER OF THE LAW. PERIOD. THEY MAKE EVERYONE ELSE FOLLOW THE LAW, OTHERWISE WE FACE FINES AND OR JAIL TIME FOR COMMITTING A CRIME....EVEN A NOISE ORDINANCE MISDEMEANOR VIOLATION !!

Anonymous said...

Any good honest lawyers out there willing to do this pro bono? I bet not! Contact Joe A and offer your services to the homeowners! These are just hard working middle class people trying to stay ahead in their pursuit of the American Dream. Luxuries like legal fees aren't in the budget.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you can fight city hall.

Anonymous said...

12:55 How often do you got to work for no pay?

Anonymous said...

Get an injunction from the circuit court to stop weekend work.

The ordinance is probably old enough to reflect the INTENT of the council that passed it to use the long-standing definition of weekday as M-F.

Maybe if you can get a copy of the original ordinance from the city clerk, maybe there will even be language in the whereas clauses that say something about what days were intended.

I watched those meetings on PAC14 enough to know what's going on there.

Anonymous said...

Get the petition signers to chip in and hire a good attorney.

Anonymous said...

Maybe that neighborhood needs to get together with their leaf blowers and do some weekday leaf blowing around the mayors house on sat.

Anonymous said...

Show up with your lawn mowers bright and early sat morning:
Mayor ireton- 203 W Philadelphia ave
chief duncan-615 Ridge Rd

Anonymous said...

Who is the legal counsel for Salisbury? Go to their homes, too!

Anonymous said...

We in Salisbury haven grown to realize that you CAN fight city hall BUT you just cant win. AND this is why I moved out of the city. I wish you all well...but just don't fight city hall...they always win.

Anonymous said...

Attorneys were not elected by the people and don't dictate law. Council should speak up for those they represent. Saturdays are not to be interpreted as a weekday unless specifically spelled out in an ordinance.