Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, November 09, 2014

Terminally Ill Woman Brittany Maynard Has Ended Her Own Life

Brittany Maynard, who became the public face of the controversial right-to-die movement over the last few weeks, ended her own life Saturday at her home in Portland, Oregon. She was 29.

"Goodbye to all my dear friends and family that I love. Today is the day I have chosen to pass away with dignity in the face of my terminal illness, this terrible brain cancer that has taken so much from me … but would have taken so much more," she wrote on Facebook. "The world is a beautiful place, travel has been my greatest teacher, my close friends and folks are the greatest givers. I even have a ring of support around my bed as I type … Goodbye world. Spread good energy. Pay it forward!"

Doctors told Maynard she had six months to live last spring after she was diagnosed with a likely stage 4 glioblastoma. She made headlines around the world when she announced she intended to die – under Oregon's Death with Dignity Act – by taking a fatal dose of barbiturates, prescribed to her by a doctor, when her suffering became too great.

More

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the record, I know a woman in Salisbury who had the same condition about 7 years ago.
She's doing fine today. Cancer free.

Anonymous said...

I admire her courage. I hope I have nerve enough to do that if the time comes,

Anonymous said...

"Likely"

May God forgive her and grant her peace on this Feast of Holy Souls.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! She was beautiful.

God Bless her and I don't blame her for what she did. I have been suffering for a long time.

Anonymous said...

8:34. If it was for the record you would of left your name. Sorry this was in curable with no chance of survival.

Anonymous said...

I guess Obamacare was too expensive.

Anonymous said...

Had two people very close to me die from glioma. A horrible horrible end. You should have the right to chose.

Anonymous said...

You know 11:39 it is people like you that will always have a inappropriate thing to say. Your a nobody.

Anonymous said...

8:34-Just throwing this out there;natural cures for cancer can't hurt,so why not at least try them,even if they are taken IN ADDITION to conventional treatments? I don't know how your friend beat it,but I personally would go the natural way in a heartbeat.I understand however that this particular type of cancer requires highly specialized medical treatment.

Tina said...

Bless her and her family. Prayers for them all, may she rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

yes prayers are in order but suicide is not what the Lord teaches. Killing oneself in any circumstance should not be hailed as a solution

Sunny Truitt said...

I can understand her situation. My father was diagnosed with the same form of brain cancer in 1999. He lived for almost a year and the last 6 months was awful to watch, so I'm sure it was awful for him. He became a shell of himself. I can't say I blame her. God Bless!