Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, June 16, 2014

Barry’s New ‘Tell-Enough’ Memoir Tries To Recast Mayor For Life’s Legacy, Deny Troubles

At times during the 1980s, Marion Barry writes in his new memoir, he would stand amid one of the many parties he’d frequent as mayor, sip on a Hennessy and Coke, and take it all in.

“I would think, Damn! I did all of this [stuff]? How did I do it?” Barry writes about his days as both unapologetic “night owl” and power broker. “But I didn’t have time to be too proud or introspective. I had to keep doing what I was doing, and what had gotten me there.”

With the Tuesday release of the 336-page autobiography “Mayor for Life: The Incredible Story of Marion Barry, Jr.,” the time for pride and introspection has come for the former four-term mayor, current Ward 8 D.C. Council member and defining figure of modern-day District politics.

Written with Charlotte-based novelist Omar Tyree, “Mayor for Life” is heavier on the former than the latter, seeking to recast Barry’s legacy as a civil rights icon and crusader for black empowerment while denying, eliding or explaining away the controversies that pocked his four decades in politics.

More

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is typical Liberal trash

Anonymous said...

Here we go again.. hanging history for the fools who will believe it.

Anonymous said...

I would not wast my time reading a book by another lying Democrat.

Anonymous said...

"B!tch set me up", I still laugh about that moment, watching the footage ...

Anonymous said...

"They say" you can't believe anything you read and only half of what you see. Remember actions speak louder then words.map

Anonymous said...

Typical ******, take no responsibility!

Anonymous said...

This culture will destroy itself in time , just as Obama's will do.
It seems to be very addictive in the past 10 years.
Sort of reminds me of the rise and fall of the Roman Empire.

Anonymous said...

Joe,

I actually know one of the Metro police officers who happened to be stuck on "detail" with M. Barry. The things I've heard, he'd definitely be a great interview for you if you'd be interested.

Anonymous said...

There is only one response to Barry he wants you to remember him as something he wasn't. He brought more shame to office than most, his affairs were many, not business affairs incase there is any confusion, his drunken stupors and lying mouth.