Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, May 03, 2014

American Legion Seeks To Defend War Memorial Cross

BLADENSBURG, Md. (AP) -- The American Legion is seeking to intervene in a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of a cross-shaped World War I memorial in Maryland.

The lawsuit was filed earlier this year by the American Humanist Association, a group that advocates for atheists and others who do not believe in a deity. It says the display of the cross by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission amounts to government sponsorship of religion and violates the First Amendment.

The Bladensburg World War I Veterans Memorial was erected by the American Legion, a group founded by veterans of that war. It was dedicated in 1925.
MORE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I put atheist and muslims in the same category. They are both extremist traitors and deserve to have an ounce of lead between the brows.

Anonymous said...

I don't practice any religion, but I have nothing but respect for those who peacefully adhere to their preferred religion. That's called 'tolerance'. This Humanist bunch is just a mob of haters who want to deny others. I could never be a good Christian - 'cause I really despise these atheist hypocrites.