Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, March 29, 2013

Former Mayoral Hopeful Adam Roop Clears The Air On Upcoming Election

Hi Joe,

Adam Roop tagged you in a post.

Adam R wrote: "I have done a lot of watching and sitting back during the Mayoral and Council race here in Salisbury, MD and been very patient to make a public statement. I am not one to hold back on commenting because of "what others will think of me" or "what I say will do to my business or reputation" whatsoever, but I think there are a lot of people who are. Let this post be the outlet for you to share your opinions (whether right or wrong) and share your vote or 2-cents. This is not an attack, just my opinions, and the best people for the job will prevail. If you don't agree with my statements then so what. If you do, then great. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then maybe this will help you. But either way, life will go on and Salisbury will still be facing problems. We just need to become problem solvers, and not just trash talkers. SO instead of just complaining all the time, write your own post, and let the world know what you stand for....because if you fall for anything, you'll stand for nothing. God bless America.

No matter who you vote for, just make the right vote for Salisbury, not for the hype and 5 minutes of fame. I think Jake Day has a lot going for him and I like him personally, but unfortunately I think he has leaned towards Jim Ireton and I think that has hurt him. I can't fully assume he has because he won't come out and publicly endorse anyone, but what do you think? If he supports Ireton, do we really want a divided council like we have had before? Or do we want people who will work together as a well oiled unit for a similar cause? Jake has a great background in education and also military but in the critical point in Salisbury's future, does he have the government experience to pick up where his challenger left off? Education is good, but the city is a 51 million dollar a year business...and we desperately need people who have experience running it/one (the right way). I don't know how many council meetings and sessions Day has attended over the last year, but were they enough to give him the knowledge he needs to help this City without having to spend a year or two trying to "catch up"? I know if I ran for Mayor, a lot of you would had said the same thing about me. I knew I would be running a campaign full of ridicule and hate (so I commend you Jake for stepping up when most people won't). But I was going to be up for the challenge if it meant the best for this city. Consequently, I thought there was a better suited candidate in Joe Albero to do and accomplish much more than I could of - all while giving a full time effort to the position. I can't knock the knowledge about Salisbury, the experience in the local government or the work ethic of current council member Debbie Campbell. She has proven to be a valuable asset for our local government. Debbie and I have had many talks in the past about the future and direction of Salisbury. I always found her to be easy going and always open to ideas and suggestions. She was played as someone who was against Jim Ireton, but in all reality she was for him, just like I was (early on). I will admit, I voted for Jim Ireton 4 years ago and bought into his "hype" and over promises. Shortly after voting for him, I realized I made the wrong decision. Debbie found this out quickly also, and the two grew apart, but Debbie always kept professional, when in most cases Ireton did not. I can remember I was at a City Council meeting earlier in the year, and I could hear Ireton ranting on and laughing in the other room when the council meeting was going on. He wasn't even in the room and then came in and wanted to know what he missed. It was embarrassing. Ireton, has done more bad than good in this city and has made a mockery of Salisbury politics. It has been more like a episode of the Jerry Springer show. Calling people racists, pumping false accusations, creating drama, lacking leadership, and basically looking for the lime light and photo op rather than leading a City and it's citizens. I have found myself becoming mad and upset at times that he would sour the reputation of Salisbury. Ireton's actions have pushed people out of this City and damaged many good people and businesses from entering it. I can't believe I read that the Daily Times wanted to give Ireton "another chance"...after then complaining about everything he had done, and then asking for forgiveness, that's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Wow. We gave him 4 years! I'm all about second chances and trying to become a better person...but when it comes to Politics there is minor room for error or this type of ongoing behavior. Joe Albero. Yeah I know everyone has a lot to say about Joe Albero. But before you point fingers and bash the man, take a look in the mirror. Do you even know this man, other than from his blog? It's a blog. It's a business. Do you always agree with with Obama says? How about when Bush was in office, did you agree with everything he said? Exactly. And whether you like or hate Joe Albero, you have to admit that he has climbed the rank to get his voice heard, has given back to the community more than you and many of us combined, and has a real interest in the success of Salisbury. And you know what your right, he lived in Delaware, but he still has more passion and knowledge about Salisbury than most of us and people who have lived here all their lives. I'm not saying I agree with everything that is posted on his site or his opinions (you take some and leave some) but I am saying that he has the knowledge about politics, the business experience, and the connections in business and government that could help move Salisbury forward. He is a visionary and that is what Salisbury needs. He will treat this position professionally and give it his best effort. He does not need to do this, he wants to do this...and I commend him for taking a risk, stepping out of the box, not worrying about what other people think or say about him and get his hands dirty. I don't know much about candidate Polk but I have liked what I have seen in her candidate forums. Sheilds has her longevity and hope she can remain consistent with the progress Salisbury needs on a much larger scale and not just in her district. I'm not saying that I haven't had my fare share of criticism over the years. Ive come to accept that if you want to have a voice, whether in Salisbury or anything else you do in life, you will have people who disagree with you, talk trash on you, and challenge you. It comes with the territory. We all have our problems we must face and come to terms to in life. We all have things in our life that we would like to take back, but Salisbury needs a team of leaders who can take it forward. We have to stop worrying about those people who just criticize and do nothing to help. We have to rip the rear view mirror off and only focus on making this city a better place to live and to conduct business in. And us as citizens, have to hold ourselves accountable and ask our selves: "are we contributing" or "are we just complaining". Salisbury has a lot to fix. It will be a challenge for those involved. I just hope you listen to the facts and the right people. Don't listed to your friend or neighbor who has no idea what is going on or has never been to a council meeting and take their opinion on the candidates. Don't listen to someone who will just bash another person when they don't personally know that person or have taken the time to research their core values and visions for this City. Don't listen to the press when they try to pit the candidates against each other just for ratings. Take time to reach out and call or message the people running for office. Meet with them personally and ask them questions...then make your decision. For those who have never voted, let this be your first. And to all who will vote, don't vote off emotions or just because it's someone you are friends with. Vote for the right person. In this election we need a Salisbury united. One with leaders, and not leeches. One with reason, not excuses. And on with vision for the future, not pipe dreams. What ever you do, just vote this Tuesday.

These are just my opinions...what are yours? #SalisburyUNITE #VoteTuesday #Joe Albero"

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.

What a GREAT letter! The best illustrative and reasoned piece of writing to come out in this election. Everybody should read it before Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

I am in Jake Day's age group and even though I am younger I will not be voting for him. I will be voting for Campbell. She is a hard work and has the best interest of the city at heart. Salisbury needs experienced leaders who know the in's and out's of Salisbury and it's politics and Day doesnt know enough to help in yhe right ways. Vote Albero/Campbell

Anonymous said...

Adam,
What a well written letter. I especially appreciated the comments about Debbie Campbell. You are right about her dedication and professionalism. She has served us with honesty and integrity. She has gotten things done like Rivers Edge. As important, she has led the effort for the improvement of the city's financial health. I checked the audits on line myself and it is true the city did improve over that last year (even in a down economy). It has taken Salisbury a long time to fight its way back from the financial mess that we inherited from Tilghman, Dunn and their "Dream Team," now it is the failed WWTP. I want Campbell on my team. She loves this city and has shown her courage in defending us and the city alike.
BTW, one small correction. Jake is on record endorsing Ireton. He stopped doing that when it appeared possible that Joe might win, but they are still a team.

Anonymous said...

The video of Campbell's closing remarks at the Camden forum are worth watching. She has that portion as a small video on her FB page campbell4salisbury Go there, like the page.

sandy s said...

This is great joe he is a great young man and knows a liot of people in this town, I also just looked at his FaceBook and he also has over 4700 friends the same that the mayor has BUT roops not even the MAYOR.

Anonymous said...

Debbie Campbell has a long proven record of ALWAYS taking the time to carefully read and research every document and has found millions of dollars in MISTAKES, she has saved the city taxpayer from skyrocketing water and sewer and property taxes by her diligence--she know the process inside and out. Debbie has never NEVER called anyone names, run smear campaigns, collaborated with the enemy to bring someone down. She has been on the receiving end of some pretty ugly accusations--Barry Tilghman was an utter witch to her in council meetings, Mike Dunn was as unkind and rude as can be. But she kept on because she was elected to serve the City Taxpayer. Along comes a new shiny candidate with NO EXPERIENCE , questionable integrity (some of us do think habitually breaking the law shows a lack of character) who is in bed with the current despicable mayor, the past despicable mayor and her cronies. really Salisbury, what are you thinking?

Anonymous said...

Thank you Adam for speaking out. You tell it like it is.
People vote for experience vote Joe and Debbie.
We can't loose with them steering the ship.

Anonymous said...

Folks,
You should really listen to this man.
Joe Albero should be the next mayor.
Your vote counts! Get out and vote.

Adam Roop said...

Joe, by posting this on your page I hope it makes people take notice that this is a very important election. I apologize for the grammatical errors in the post as I was writing it on a cell phone.

We need all ages to step up and come to the polls this Tuesday.


Anonymous said...

Can we write in Roop?

Anonymous said...

I'll just be happy to see the buck stop here after the election.Some of our past leaders have tended to blame others for their shortcomings.Salisbury won't miss that mentality once you are elected Joe.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic letter! Kudos to Adam Roop. He captured an "informed voter's" thought process with this.

What a real human being. I admit my bias ahead of time for Debbie Campbell, but this is one of the things that bothers me about Jake Day. Unlike what Adam Roop shows here, Day does not come off as "real." He comes off as "politician." Like Ireton, Day comes off as having higher aspirations.

I want someone who is in the "here and now" for Salisbury. Nothing less and nothing more.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Adam could be Vice Mayor. Adam has a great career ahead of him.

He is a great person and number 1 Business person.
Go Joe and Debbie...don't ever give up!

Anonymous said...

You wrote that long letter on a cell phone?

Anonymous said...

Unlike Egomaniac Jim Ireton, Joe Albero will welcome input from the business community, like Mr. Roop. With Ireton it was his way or the highway--just like his predecessor. I can't wait until Albero is mayor and the cronyism, taxpayer waste and corruption that exists in the Ireton administration is exposed. From the Humane Society to the FIre Department to the exorbitant salary that Lore Chambers pulls down--it all needs to be exposed to the taxpayers!!!

Anonymous said...

How is Day's "military background" any more than millions of us have, and why is it even relevant?

Alice rinner said...

great job Adam, I hope over the weekend you will speak to ALL your friends in town and on FaceBook.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thought provoking letter. Thank you, Mr. Roop, we needed to hear your message.

I agree with everyone who has written statements above. Ms. Campbell has the necessary experience, and the well-being of Salisbury citizens and will be an asset to the Council. Mr. Albero will add his business knowledge, and vision to bring Salisbury into a brighter future for all of us.

MK said...

Even Adam who Voted for Ireton on the first round sees through ireton Bull this time around.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'll bet anyone a hundred dollars the DT would NEVER print this!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yesterday you said that Jake Day had promised to get in touch with you (after a friend alerted him to the post regarding the 500 units of housing) am curious if he followed through. Also curious of the 2 people that witnessed his admission of lying would come forth if needed?

Anonymous said...

The Roop family are good people---I value this young mans opinion----Salisbury voters----I hope you will too!!!

Anonymous said...

March 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM

"Well, I'll bet anyone a hundred dollars the DT would NEVER print this!!!!!!!!!!"

I don't think you'll get any action on that bet. It's too much truth.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Adam. Sanity is a good thing, and its good to read about it.

Anonymous said...

Jake Day's background is purely agenda 21 training

Bushman said...

Adam,
At a time like this, where every day we seem to be living "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest", I welcome this voice of reason and civility. Jake Day grew up on my street along with my two kids. He is a very nice young man with great potential. How ever at this point in time, we need experienced individuals who do not require a learning curve! (Can anyone say WWTP?)
My hope is that the citizens of Salisbury will recognize the professional attributes of Debby Campbell and re-elect her to the Council. She is not one for grand standing and looking for photo-op's. She does her job and does it incredibly well. And as you pointed out, Mr. Albero has vision and is prepared to move Salisbury forward.
As I have heard hi say, "..this is not his election to lose, but Salisbury's"...
Thank you Adam for your very positive and well thought out post.

JoeAlbero said...

anonymous 6:39, While Mr. Day promised to contact me, he has not as of this morning.

Of the two witnesses I know one of them would absolutely come forward.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Adam or that positive thought provoking post. You are a credit to your family and community. Keep fighting or Salisbury and what is best for ALL.

Anonymous said...

Nice letter and bushman is correct. In these uncertain economic times you want and need persons like Albero and Campbell otherwise you will end up in the same mess OC is facing. It is very very important to elect officials who aren't of the mind set to spend spend spend and Campbell has proven that she watches the wallet of the community. If this isn't done then you have what's going to occur in OC called the trickle down effect and those who can least afford it will be hurt the most. When taxes are raised and new fees implimented, the prices of goods, services, and housing (rentals)also go up leaving people with less money to spend on things they would like to have.

Anonymous said...

Ocean City went begging to Wor Co for money. What a joke that was. The reality is that yes Ocean City would be (and should be) flush with money if not for the out of control spending.