Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Do TV Liquor Ads Drive Kids to Drink?

Seeing beer and liquor ads on TV may promote drinking as early as seventh grade and lead to alcohol-related problems just a few years later, a new study suggests.

The more ad exposure the teens reported -- and the more they enjoyed the commercials -- the more they drank by 10th grade, the researchers found.

"This study provides evidence that exposure to alcohol advertising in seventh grade and liking those alcohol advertisements on television is associated with higher levels of drinking in the eighth and ninth grades," said lead researcher Jerry Grenard, an associate professor in the School of Community and Global Health at Claremont Graduate University in California.

More 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

They did'nt have to drive very far to get me to drink.I had what was called a "genetic predisposition" to alcohol.At 16 or so I was hooked after my first drink of the hard stuff.Thank god I quit.

Anonymous said...

The ads don't drive me to drink, but my wife does. I will say she was really proud of me the other night. I had a few more beers than I should have so I took a bus home. She didn't know I could drive a bus!

Anonymous said...

The same way drug companies have so many commercials about the drugs that will make you feel better. Got toenail fungus? They have a pill for it! True that, and it costs like over $300, had an old gentleman tell me that, said he'd keep the nail fungus he wasn't buying it!

Anonymous said...

They should bain all commercials relating to alcohol. It puts the young mind on the wrong path.

Anonymous said...

I would say the example set by the parents, and other adults that are influential in a teens life.

Anonymous said...

I agree with 4:30.
Beer ads always show people laughing and having the greatest times of their lives. How about the ads show the other darker effects of drinking like hangovers, fights, DUIs and sometimes DEATH.

Anonymous said...

So alcohol ads make you drink?? What effect do you think unrestrained violence and mayhem on tv advertisements would have on these same minds??

Anonymous said...

It's all in the name of "free speech" isn't it? Or is it just greed??

Anonymous said...

Lower the drinking age to 18 and watch how much faster young adults either grow up or dumb down. Let the alcohol ads be. Its our choice to drink or smoke, no one is shoving it down our throats.

Anonymous said...

yes, lets blame that now.

Anonymous said...

Last I checked there were no liquor advertisements on Disney, Nicklodean, Nick Jr., Teen Nick, Boomerang, or a myriad of other youth program networks. Perhaps a little parenting may be in order and a little less sniffling about what the kid's are watching. Hey mom and dad, do your job.