Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Illinois Governor Signs Strip Club ‘Skin Tax’ Law to Collect Money for Rape Victims

CHICAGO – Illinois Governor Pat Quinn has signed a new tax into law that would collect money from strip clubs in the state in order to help raise funds for rape crisis centers.

In signing the new “skin tax” bill, Quinn officially created the Sexual Assault Services and Prevention Fund. Beginning January 1, 2013, every patron to a strip club must pay a $3 surcharge, which will then be transferred to the fund. The money will be handled by the Illinois Department of Human Services.

The bill was introduced in February by Democratic senators Toi Hutchinson and Sara Feigenholtz due to reported dwindling funding for rape crisis centers in the state. The bill passed through both house and senate, with the senate vote being unanimous.

More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leave it to Illinois to come up with a skin tax.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think it's a great idea as taxes go. My 34 year old niece was raped. Wasn't wearing anything or doing anything to "ask for it."

I'm 100% straight male, but I'm not a fan of strip clubs and girlie magazines. I couldn't help but think what if one of my sisters had been reduced to that? Or one of my daughters!

Guess I'm old fashioned, married to the same woman for 42 years. I just think women are to be respected, and if this helps a woman who wasn't in the worst way, it's one tax I sure could support.

Anonymous said...

Im waiting on someone to tax the filthy air we breathe.

Anonymous said...

next will be a tax to walk in a church.
a prayer tax