Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, June 11, 2012

Magnet Testing And Reporting Update

In an effort to ensure open communication with regard to the Magnet process, I am writing to inform you that we are required to make adjustments to the Magnet timeline due to the fact that we have not yet received student scores from the Pearson Education Company for the Naglieri Non-verbal Assessment Test (NNAT2) that was administered to all Wicomico County Public School second graders during the first week of May. All student scores were expected to go home with students on the last day of school with their report cards on Friday, June 8th. Since we will not have the Naglieri scores by the last day of school, we will now be sending the scores to each second grader’s current mailing address as soon as we receive and process them. Additionally, students who qualify for the Magnet program for the 2012-2013 school year can expect to receive their invitation by the first week in July, a week later than was initially indicated on the Magnet timeline posted on the Wicomico County Board of Education’s website.

I appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter,

Lori A. Bock
Supervisor of Accelerated Learning Programs K-12

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why isn't there a Magnet Program for the Middle and High Schools?

Anonymous said...

Because middle and high schools have different levels that they group classes. Like in middle school you can be in level gate (highest), A, B, or C. Same concept applies to high school.

Anonymous said...

1:41 PM, good try, but the difference is Magnet is for kids that want to learn. That grouping in different levels is only so they don't have a Magnet Program. They want to mix the higher learner kids with the warehoused thugs who don't want to learn. The thugs go to school because it is free day care including all meals and they also get to play basketball.

Anonymous said...

2:39pm..are you implying that children who do not qualify for magnet do not want to learn? My children have actually cried because they did not qualify..just barely, but even with straight A's they did not qualify. They went to Glen Avenue, missing many of their peers, but guess what..they EXCELLED! Hats off to Glen Avenue, particularly Ms. Seabreeze and Ms. Murphy along with Dr and Mr Collins..Exceptional school year for my children! I look forward to them remaining in Glen Avenue now. By the way..still straight A's.

Anonymous said...

2:39 : I am 1:41. I was in magnet, I was in gate, and I took AP courses in high school. I don't remember the groups in high school but I can assure you I was not grouped with the thugs. I was grouped with people who excelled so I think I know what I'm talking about, unless the rules have changed.