Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, September 01, 2011

Try Cooking Cantaloupe For A Change

Local cantaloupe is a reliable standby for a quick fruit salad or an elegant melon with prosciutto appetizer.

But many of the melons available these days are quite large, which is great if you have a big family, but not so good if there are only one or two in the household.

For safety, melon needs to be refrigerated within two hours of cutting. Refrigerated melon should be used within a couple of days.

The last cantaloupe I purchased yielded more than 5 cups of diced melon. And I generally don't want more than about one cup per day, so I'm likely to throw out around 2 cups. Since I try to avoid wasting food, I usually remedy the situation by picking up a different fruit.

More

No comments: