Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Eastern Shore Citizens Pack Auditorium to Say NO! to O’Malley Toll Hike Plan

Wednesday evening over 500 people crammed into the auditorium of Kent Island High School to give their opinion of the Maryland Transportation Administration’s (MDTA) proposed toll hikes. Citizens from all over the Eastern Shore attended last night’s hearing, although the vast majority were from Queen Anne’s and Talbot counties.
The first speakers of the evening were elected officials. Maryland Sen. E. J. Pipkin (R-36) and delegates Mike Smigiel (R-36), Jay Jacobs (R-36), Steve Hershey (R-36), and Mike McDermott (R-38B) all spoke against the proposed toll hikes.
Del. Mike McDermott (R-38B) addresses the crowd at last night’s public hearing
After the elected officials spoke, the MDTA officials gave their presentation attempting to justify the toll hikes. Two statements stood out in the presentation – the claim by the MDTA that they “owned” the bridges and tunnels AND their admission (verbally and in writing) that the monies from higher tolls would be used for maintenance on the bridges and tunnels, and for “infrastructure projects” in the Baltimore / DC corridor.
When the folks from MDTA finished speaking, the ordinary citizen had his chance. Here are a few quotes:

Since O’Malley was elected my sales tax has gone up 20%. You’ve just raised my beer tax. Now you want to raise my tolls … BUT … you are going to give subsidized tuition to illegal aliens.
You want to raise our tolls and force us to subsidize the ICC (Inter-County Connector road). … Why don’t you put up toll booths on I-70, I-270, and I-68 and let the rest of the state share in the pain.
I’m convince you wake up every morning in Annapolis and say, “What can we do today to screw the Eastern Shore?”.
I do most of my shopping in Annapolis. It’s 25 minute from my home. If you raise this toll, I’m thinking seriously of starting to do my shopping in Middletown, DE. Middletown is 45 minutes from home. (members of the audience shouted, “And NO sales tax”) That’s right. I may burn an extra gallon or two of gas, but between the toll increase and no sales tax, it will be cheaper.
One gentleman that spoke to riotous applause had this to say:

I’m a businessman. I have to look after my customers. I don’t have the luxury of raising taxes to meet my payroll. If you worked for me (pointing to the MDTA commissioners), I’d fire each and every one of you!
The overflow crowd sat or stood patiently as each speaker took his or her turn.

While I wasn’t present for EVERY speaker on Wednesday night, I did not hear one speak in favor of the toll hike. Will the MDTA commissioners understand what the folks at last night’s hearing were saying? It’s doubtful.

STICKY POST! NEW POSTS WILL SHOW UP BELOW THIS ONE UNTIL 4 PM.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The legislature didn't listen to us 4 years ago when the "special session" brought in all the tax increases. Instead, the voters voted the same administration in again and they are pulling the same trick this year.

Anonymous said...

12:17, it just goes to prove that adage about "hit me once." I wasn't able to go to the meeting, and I am directly affected by what the MDTA wants to do. Doubling it and then nearly doubling it again is no good! Between this and the price of gas, I will seriously curtail my visits home. So will others, and think about what that means for OC. I think the jacka__es lie awake at night and think of ways to screw people. Maybe the sign that leads into MD should say "Welcome to MD, if you have money when you come, you won't have any when you leave."

Anonymous said...

I can see raising the tolls to 3.00 or 3.50. seems no one at the mdta is being very smart. Folks remember to take it out on the elected officials who give these idiots jobs!

lmclain said...

The MDTA says THEY own the bridges and tunnels?? The PEOPLE own them. And as far as "we need the money to maintain the bridge" crap??? They just admitted that the monies would be used for OTHER projects. Which means they want to gouge the people because the people have no other choice than to pay. These are the people we elect to REPRESENT us. Not STEAL and MANIPULATE us. Nor take advantage of us at every opportunity. HA!!! Where are all you bozo's who think the "system" is still working??? "We, the people" are pawns and serfs, to be used and abused by those who are better than us. Bet the tolls get raised anyway. The meeting, like voting itself, is only a ruse to make the citizens THINK they have a voice. But they don't any more...those are the facts. Quite obviously, they don't even care if you know it, either. What are you gonna do about it? Vote for the next guy who promises HE is gonna "change things".....lol!!!

Anonymous said...

O'Malley and Obama , don't they think alike! Take till it's hurts and then take some more. Bend over kids here it comes and we didn't drop the soap.

Brett Gardner said...

I think you animals should have to pay a toll to get off the shore onto our side, Lord knows you have been dragging down the IQ levels of this great state for far too long.

Anonymous said...

We need this money to support this state.
You people have to realize we have many unemployed and on welfare.
We have to pay for this somehow.
What would you suggest?
My friend O'Malley has done a great job , he's been talking to the Koreans and other counties trying to get the economic situation resolved. As a matter of fact , he just asked O'bama to print up some more money so we could distribute it in this state.
That will solve most of the problems. Thanks Obama , my buddy.

Anonymous said...

2:38

You sir, are what we on the shore refer to as a Balti Moron. It does not matter where you actually live, if you are from west of the bridge you are a moron. Do us all a favor and keep your moronic a$$ on the western shore.

Anonymous said...

With all the people saying they will not cross this should ease traffic congestion.

Unknown said...

I predict:

A MOVE tax. Anyone who moves OUT of Maryland will be hit with it against the property sale. The leaders you may consider "stupid" are actually very smart.

I was reluctant to even post this as the Legislature might see it and realize they are missing another "Revenue Resource". They are such a swell bunch of guys.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love this!!!! The ones complaining about him, are the ones who voted for him!!!!!!!!!! This is what you get when you vote for the Libs!!!!!!!!! I just hope and pray America is not stupid in 2012!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

2:28 PM

Don't try to blame us for your stupidity. And if you're so smart, why aren't you on a cruise ship instead of this blog? Go eat a crab you moron.