Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, January 28, 2011

What To Do When An Employer Goofs Up Your Tax Form

Although it's tempting to duck and cover to protect yourself from the onslaught of tax forms filling up your mailbox these days, it's a good idea to examine the numbers on your W2s and 1099s to ensure they're accurate. If an employer or bank screws up and reports it gave you more money than it really did and you don't notice, you're on the hook for the extra taxes.

More »

1 comment:

Daddio said...

Several years ago, I had a problem with my employer, except it was the state taxes withheld. They withheld more than they reported on my W2, and I had the pay stubs to prove it.

(ALWAYS SAVE AND RECONCILE YOUR PAY STUBS!!)

I wrote a memo to the payroll clerk who ignored me ... at first. After no response a week later I wrote another memo asking them if they really wanted me to get the state tax folks involved with this or did they want to settle it now just between us?

Instead of sending me a corrected W2, they refunded to me the extra $$$ withheld.

The thought of the state tax folks nosing around their books was enough to get `em to finally take action.