Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

THIS PUTS IT ALL IN PERSPECTIVE:

Biting the bullet on expenses 
 
The President ordered the cabinet to cut a whopping $100 million from the $3.5 trillion federal budget! 
 
I'm so impressed by this sacrifice that I have decided to do the same thing with my personal budget. I spend about $2000 a month on groceries, medicine, bills, etc, but it's time to get out the budget cutting ax, go line by line through my expenses, and go to work. 
 
I'm going to cut my spending at exactly the same ratio -1/35,000 of my total budget. After doing the math, it looks like instead of spending $2000 a month; I'm going to have to cut that number by six cents! 
 
Yes, I'm going to have to get by with $1999.94, but that's what sacrifice is all about. I'll just have to do without some things, that are, frankly, luxuries.  
 
John P. Taxpayer

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess that Congress thinks that it is going to put one over on the taxpayers, that we are all going to be impressed by the figure of $100 million. Thanks, "John Taxpayer" for putting things in perspective! Even $100 billion would be small potatoes when we're talking about trillions, but at least a dent would be made.

lmclain said...

I'm of 2 minds on this. Firstly, I KNOW there is a lot more that can be cut. Its a political move to impress regular citizens, to whom $100 million dollars is a LOT of money. On the other hand, how many citizens have to pay taxes in order to get $100 million out of them? Stop SPENDING so damn much money and STOP borrowing. THAT will impress me a lot more than this smoke and mirrors stuff.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it just boil your blood when they constantly insult us by blatantly assuming we're stupid?

Anonymous said...

The truth is, the budget needs to be cut by roughly 1.2 trillion, just so we get back to the point of not adding to the deficit every year. 100 million is laughable, and just shows how little DC cares about the future of this nation. Just wait til our debt isn't financed so cheaply, and treasury yields will be reminiscent of the Carter administration.

Anonymous said...

11:27 we are stupid otherwise the fools wouldn't be in charge of our money in the first place. Little by little we have accepted the lies and the bs and behaved like good little children. I just hope we all are truly paying attention now.

Anonymous said...

How much does each person in Congress have in their personal congressional / office budget for discretionary spending for overseas trips and other BS. Cut that also and then I will say they are serious. Nobody ever raises this question. There is probably 500 millionthere in these accounts