Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Please Vote Melissa For Orphans' Court

Dear Friends, Neighbors, and Family,
This is a shameless request for your vote and your help.  I would be ever so appreciative if you would pass this on to your email list of people who are Wicomico County voters.  If you don't care to do that, or can't because of your job, don't worry, I'll never know, and I wouldn't hold it against you if I did.  If you have time or inclination to read, there is information below.  If not, the salient point is, "Please vote for Melissa Pollitt Bright for Orphans' Court Judge!"
As most of you know, I am up for reelection to the Orphans' Court for Wicomico County.  The Orphans' Court is the one court that most people will have some interaction with at some point in their lives, but yet it is the court that most people know nothing about.  It shows up on the ballot every four years, but is seldom thought about between times.
The Orphans' Court in Maryland is the probate court.  Our job is to oversee the administration of people's estates.  When someone dies, if they have a Will, the Orphans' Court makes sure it is followed and enforced.  If there is no Will, this is the court that protects the rights of the heirs.  We also protect the rights of creditors.  If there are disputes regarding the estate, those come before the Orphans' Court to be settled.  The commissions and fees payable to Personal Representatives and attorneys are also overseen by the Orphans' Court. 
Although the Orphans' Court does oversee and safeguard property and inheritances of minor children until they reach legal age, the name of the court is a bit misleading.  It comes from the City of London's Court for Widows and Orphans, established in the 1600s.  In those days, if your father died, you were legally an orphan (women had few rights on their own, so Mom didn't count).  The court was established to protect the inheritance rights of children whose fathers had died.  This system was brought to the Colony of Maryland and the Orphans' Court was established in Maryland's first Constitution following the Revolution.  We do not handle adoption or custody issues.
I have been on the Orphans' Court in Wicomico County for 16 years.  During that time, I have taken every available opportunity to improve my knowledge, and thereby my service.  I have received training through the Maryland Judicial Institute, the National Probate College, the National Judiciary College, and through programs provided by the Maryland Association of the Judges of the Orphans' Court (MAJOC).  I have also spent a great deal of time on independent research, reading case law and court records.
During my time on the court, I have served two terms as President of MAJOC, was appointed to the first Conference of Orphans' Court Judges (an advisory board to the Maryland Judiciary) and reappointed to the third Conference, and have been for several years one of two official State Representatives from Maryland to the National College of Probate Judges.  I also meet regularly with a committee composed of Orphans' Court judges, Registers of Wills, members of the Estates and Trusts section of the Maryland Bar, and an Assistant Attorney General.  This committee is the driving force behind much of the legislation which affects the probate process.
On a personal level, I am a lifelong resident of Allen, in southwestern Wicomico County.  I am active in my church, the Fire Co. Auxillary, and the Allen Historical Society.  I am also the publisher of Maggie Magazine.  I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 34 years; we have an amazing daughter, a wonderful son-in-law, and a grandson who will no doubt change the world!
I love my work on the court and hope to be returned to continue that work.  But I need your help to get there.  In next Tuesday's General Election, there are four candidates for three seats on the Orphans' Court for Wicomico County.  You may vote for up to three.  Please make one of your votes for Melissa Pollitt Bright.
Thank you very much, for reading this, and for passing it on if you feel so inclined.  As our late Comptroller, Louis L. Goldstein used to say, "God bless y'all real good!"
With love and appreciation,
Melissa
Melissa Pollitt Bright
Judge of Orphans' Court for Wicomico County, Maryland

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa is honest, smart, caring and very hard working. Those are qualities that are few and far between in those we elect. I will be proud to cast my vote for her. I have known her since elementary school. Good luck, Melissa.

Anonymous said...

I ve known her since I was a child growing up in Allen. She is a great person and always had a special spot in her heart for children. She is honest, hardworking and gives more of herself than she gets. I will deffinatley vote for her again. I urge everyone to vote for her.

Anonymous said...

Melissa-Thanks for enlightening me on the duties of the Orphans' Court. I am very impressed with your past record and your bio. You definitely have my vote. EL

Anonymous said...

She is a person of integrity, no question. And very smart!

Anonymous said...

We have already voted for her. We will do so as long as she chooses to run for office.

Anonymous said...

Melissa has the support of my whole family. We'll vote for her every time.

Anonymous said...

Nothing personal meant at all, but why do we even vote for these positions?