Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Republicans Fight To Hold Senate Seat On The Lower Shore

In an election, where the Republican Party hopes to claim enough seats in the Maryland Senate to sustain a filibuster and force negotiations on bills requiring a two-thirds majority, not losing traditionally held seats is as important as gaining them.

That makes the District 38 race on the lower Eastern Shore between Republican hotel executive Michael James and Democratic Del. Jim Mathias such a critical one to both parties.

James and Mathias opposed one another for the District 38B Delegate seat in the 2006 election and Mathias edged James out by 1,113 votes, taking advantage of the Democratic-leaning Wicomico County. Both are vying for the state Senate seat opened by the retirement of Lowell Stoltzfus, the Republican senator who held the post for 18 years.

But since 2006, the normally conservative lower Shore has become a Tea Party stronghold of the kind which overthrew Tom Carper in favor of Christine O’Donnell in neighboring Delaware. The fight between Mathias and James will likely be determined in the place where anger meets self-interest in the voter psyche.

GO HERE to read more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hellooooo. Christine O'Donnell defeated Mike Castle in the Republican primary, not Tom Carper who is a Democrat.

Helloooo. Anybody home?

Anonymous said...

Cold and mean vs. warm and compassionate. I'm for Jim Mathias all the way.

I've seen and heard James in action. He's always looking for who is most important in the room. Jim cares about the average guy because he understands our struggles. Jim owned a pool hall and tee shirt shop - he's not a "hotel executive" - which is just how James acts - above the regular guy on the street. James wants to know what you can do FOR HIM, not what he can do for you.

Even when he attends fundraisers for other candidates, James somehow makes it all about him. "Send me a check, too. I need your help, too."

Mathias is a man of integrity and a man of his word. Jim Mathias is what is good about the Eastern Shore and we need him in Annapolis!

Anonymous said...

James doesn't impress me when he speaks. He also wouldn't get my vote due to how his friend Ms. howard went abot getting my phone number and calling me. I already voted and Mathias got my vote.

Anonymous said...

My vote is going to Michael James. This past summer I attended a funeral which I stood in line for over an hour to get to the door. All of a sudden, two people come through another door and barged in front of everyone who had been standing for a long time in the
heat. Turned out it was James Mathias and some woman who I guess thought they were so important and did not have to stand like all of us did.
Lost my vote on that move!