Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, February 07, 2010

What Will Your Children Be Taught?

Mathew Staver on The Huckabee Show this Weekend to Discuss Changes to Textbooks

www.LC.org

This weekend Mathew D. Staver, Founder and Chairman of Liberty Counsel and Dean of Liberty University School of Law, will appear on Mike Huckabee’s show to discuss potentially dramatic changes to the framework of textbooks that are being discussed by the Texas State Board of Education (TSBOE). Huckabee and Staver will be revealing suggested changes, some of which are still under discussion. The show will begin at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday and 2:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on Sunday, Eastern Time.

TSBOE will soon finalize the language that textbook publishers use to align their textbooks to current standards. As Texas is a leader in textbooks, most other states purchase the same educational materials. The textbook controversy in Texas affects every American because, to have a bright future, we must know our past. America has a rich past founded on Judeo-Christian values and to forget them, or worse, to distort them, will doom our future. Those who want to reshape America begin by rewriting our past. We repeat the mistakes of the past when we are ignorant of them.

Some of the suggestions that have come forward at various times include:

Removing references to Daniel Boone, General George Patton, Nathan Hale, Columbus Day, and Christmas.


Including the cultural impact of hip hop music, ACLU lawyer Clarence Darrow, and the Hindu holiday of Diwali.


Replacing the term "American" with "Global Citizen"– stating that students need to be shaped "for responsible citizenship in a global society" without any mention of citizenship in American society.


Replacing expansionism and free enterprise with imperialism and capitalism.

The Board's next meeting is in March and the final reading and adoption of the social studies guidelines will be in May.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I have seen this story written from a right wing view. They also want to teach the importance of the "Contract for America" in 1995, discuss the fall of Russia ONLY in terms of the greatness of Ronald Reagan, and other "GOP is GREAT" view points.

I wonder if FOX and Mike Huckabee will be fair and balaced in their reporting?

I am going all in on "no they won't."

Anonymous said...

America has a rich past founded on Judeo-Christian values and to forget them, or worse, to distort them, will doom our future.

no it was not

Anonymous said...

I have history texts from the entire century in my collection. One can see the progression of our cultures and perspectives based on how the information is displayed, sorted and sifted. I find Straver to be the most disturbing influence on this aspect of education that I've seen in my 30 years as an educator. Biased and judgemental...one sided...my way or the highway....and apparently has the power to rewrite history as he sees it.

Anonymous said...

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.

Anonymous said...

Revisionist textbooks always come back to haunt you. They can become fuel for government overthrow.

Anonymous said...

These proposed changes in the text books are promoting a society that goes against American Values rather like sublimital messages in tv and movies. What happened to proud to be an American? To free enterprise? I would rather not get onto a soapbox here but I hope I don't live to see these changes. That said, I hope my grandchildren are intelegent enough to see through such anti-American rhetoric.

Anonymous said...

Another SOCALIST reform brewing.I want my grandkids to learn about my country not some asian islamic bombing killers.

Anonymous said...

So happy I'm living with less so I can send my kids to private school