Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, February 20, 2010

TODAY'S TOWN HALL MEETING


Today's meeting featured Worcester and Wicomico County State Delegates Norman Conway and Jim Mathias, Jr. The meeting was held at the Wicomico County library whereby I counted 21 people in attendance.

Keynote speakers included local blogging celebrities, Joe Albero - http://www.sbynews.blogspot.com/, Julie Brewington - http://www.rightcoastconseravtive.blogspot.com/, Michael Swartz - http://www.monoblogue.us/, and GA Harrison - http://www.delmarvadealings.com/.

First off I would like to thank both of the Delegates for holding their joint annual meeting. As I expected - the State of our sagging local economy dominated the agenda for the 1 -1/2 hour session. Delegate Norm Conway stated that as of July 1, 2010 the Board of Estimates had reduced the State budget revenue projections by more than 1 billion dollars. Our current projected budget is now at funding levels not seen since FY 2007 - 13 Billion dollars. Delegate Mathias also went on record as being opposed to a projected increase in the gas tax.

Topics discussed included the following:

1. Maryland's anti-business climate and the current state of our local area businesses - loss of key manufacturing jobs - (auto, housing, agriculture)
2. Poultry industry - chicken house construction and issuance of building permits
3. Education - Governor has not cut and has held the current level on spending
4. High unemployment rate - Statewide rate is at 7.5% and Worcester Co. 16.2% - (State unemployment benefit extensions from 26 weeks to 33 weeks - and then federal kicking-in for an additional 22 weeks)
5. Dramatic unemployment insurance contribution rate increases for Maryland employers to help make-up for depleted reserves.
6. Death penalty legislation
7. Proposed gas tax increases to help fortify the transportation trust fund.
8. Wicomico County Civic Center
9. Maryland's Renewable Energy Policy - or lack thereof
10. CASA - allowing issuance of drivers license for illegal aliens

Highlights of the meeting included considerable discussion surrounding the recent loss of Sarah Foxwell and specifically relating to the positions of these two elected officials regarding the Death Penalty. Both - Conway and Mathias - went on record for being in support of the Death Penalty whereby a hearing is scheduled to be held on the legislative initiative this Tuesday in Annapolis.

Other highlights included in-depth discussion on the Wicomico County Youth and Civic Center's recent land acquisition whereby it was revealed that the County may be contemplating additional land purchases in excess of the recently approved 5 acre acquisition. Additionally, there was considerable discussion regarding State and County land acquisitions for large tracts of land to accomodate the expansion of Salisbury University even despite our sagging economy.

As for myself and being in the renewable energy business - I expressed my concern regarding Maryland's lack of a comprehensive energy policy - specifically solar and wind.

Bottom line - I was really impressed by the degree of conviction, testimony, and political knowledge brought-on by the blogging community. I'll say one thing for these people - they are definately 'engaged' in the political arena.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Hate to say it but their joint picture alone keeps me from trusting either one of them. The questionI guess is what is it I should trust them with?

joealbero said...

Beezer, while I plan on doing a post on this matter over the next day or so I want to make something very clear here so everyone understands Mr. Conway's position on the death penalty.

He said he supported it to the point in which he didn't want to see it completely go away, so he supported keeping it because it would be too difficult to bring it back at a later point, should citizens choose they want it back.

That being said, he went on to add that they are working on improving the bill but I wouldn't say clearly that Norm Conway truly supports the death penalty. He merely supported keeping it on the books.

As for the rest of what you had mentioned, I found it interesting that 3 of the 4 major topics were actually presented by me personally. Your 4th energy statements certainly gained Mr. Conway's attention, that's for surfe and I hope you take him up on following through with it.

Sarah's Aunt was present today and while she is somewhat shy, I wanted to make sure the right questions were asked on her behalf and I truly believe both Delegates answered those three questions to much satisfaction.

I believe we were all amazed how Mr. Conway was under a different impression that the properties recently purchased would stay on the tax role and remained shocked that perhaps he was misslead. I'm confident he'll be looking much deeper into that.

As for the Bloggers, we are on the ball and that includes you too. Your investigative reports have proven to be second to none and the MSM not only can't afford to pay their people to dig as deep as you do, they couldn't care less any more, unless the story is handed to them. So my hat is tipped to you Beezer as you are a very valuable assett to SBYNews.com.

I'll save the rest of my remarks for later.

joealbero said...

Well Al, maybe you should have been there today. I believe you would have walked away a changed man.

Anonymous said...

Joe, I'm feeling a tad lazy in the writing department. I may just link to you.

joealbero said...

RightCoast, I'm feeling the same. I have nothing set up for tomorrow and quite frankly feel like taking a break.

I'd like to add to you, Beezer, Michael & GA, don't you find it interesting how the Daily Times nor the rest of the MSM was there, since it was right in their own back yard.

People are paying for their service, (the DT's) and they are dropping the ball more and more. The only stories they seem to cover any more are those stories that are handed to them.

Anonymous said...

Joe , Thank you for your help in asking the the question I could not. I hope they do as they say .

Anonymous said...

I have never witnessed this type and extensive coverage from The Daily Times since they have been in business.

Personally, I don't consider them MSM anymore. I just don't.

Beezer said...

To Joe Albero:

In reference to Norm Conway saying he was in favor of the Death Penalty.

I believe I know what you are saying. It kind of reminds me of the old saying Ronald Reagan used to use;

'Trust but Verify'

As slippery as some of these elected politicians are . . . we need to constantly monitor their activity and really need to hold their foot to the fire.

Anonymous said...

Joe do you honestly believe Norm Conway didn't know that land purchased by the county was going to be taken off the tax roles? He is a career politician he knows very well the county just lost tax dollars on 5 acres of land permanently.

joealbero said...

anonymous 10:43, yes, I firmly believe by Norm's reaction to my question he understood it to be different. It wasn't until GA Harrison backed what I was saying that Norm was speechless but assured me he would get back to me with answers.

So yes, I do believe Norm was telling the truth. Perhaps you had to be there to better understand. I've been doing this a long time and the man was not lying or missleading anyone.

I once saw that exact same reaction with Ron Alessi when I told him 12 ducks had been killed in the Zoo over the last 14 days. He was not aware of this and truly ticked off that the Director of the Zoo had not informed him of this. I challenged why they waited 14 days to finally set a trap for the Raccoon that was killing them all.

Been there, done that. Norm was telling the truth, period.

Justin Case said...

I have known Norm for a long time and been involved with him for years. He is a stand-up guy when it comes to politics. I can not believe he didn't realize the land would be taken off the tax rolls no matter what reaction he had to your question regarding that issue.

After being an elected official for the state of MD all these years I have to come to the conclusion he knew. I don't know why he acted like he didn't know. He probably didn't want to take the heat on that---not his responsiblity to do so --- it's Ricks' responsibility.Local is as local does and this is local.

Anonymous said...

Reading what you wrote, I found myself chuckling...this is exactly how Norm and Jim get elected. They make you feel like you are the most important person in the world to them, and you vote for them. But look at their legislative records. Both have consistently voted with O'Malley (no matter how moderate they want to seem) and have supported extremely liberal legislation...don't believe me, check out the Maryland General Assembly website: http://mlis.state.md.us/

Put it to you this way...there is a reason why voting records are so hard to find...

Anonymous said...

Joe:

Is william James from OC, who may run against this pair this year, affiliated withGreater Salisbury Committee. If so, he won't get my vote.

Anonymous said...

Michael James is running this year and yes he is from OC. His name is not William.

Anonymous said...

Apparently the DT was not required to attend the same T H meeting as you. Perhaps they felt you had Salisbury meeting covered so they would do the Worcester one. Had they had written about the Salisbury meeting they knew you would criticize every word penned so rightly decided on going to Worcester.