Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Comment Absolutely Worthy Of A Post


Joe:

The snow has been removed via efforts from career and volunteer personnel alike. The issue could and should have been taken care of prior to this thread, but it wasn't and that is "our" fault.

As a side note however, the SFD has been inundated with calls and had an extreme call volume both during the recent storms and subsequent days following the storms. At this time, I do not have the exact number and apologize for not having the data to back up my statement, but I have recently been tasked with attempting to compile rough statistics on just that as well as costs to the department in order to make an attempt to recoup some of the capitol outlay from MEMA. I have not yet finished that task as the criteria continue to change from the State and it has been difficult to figure out exactly what they (State) want. I can tell you it has been difficult to keep up with the service need from both a career and volunteer standpoint. The numbers are quite high.

In any event, we have had a couple of days since the call volume dropped and gave the department an opportunity to clear the snow in question. To be honest, I doubt it crossed too many people's minds secondary to the amount of work that has been done recently and the ownership for that is our own.

However, for those who wish to continue to call us "lazy" and say we do nothing but sit around and watch TV all the time and wait for calls...I challenge ANYONE to come work with my shift for a 24 hour operational period and tell me that same thing after doing so. We do take time during any given shift to relax when the opportunity presents, but that is rare. All that "sleep" that some of your commenter's claim we get is most certainly a fallacy. Anyone taking me up on my offer to spend a tour with us will certainly discover that in a hurry.
In fact, I encourage my crew to get some rest between the hours of 7pm and 11pm if they can as I know they will be out running calls throughout the night. I imagine that most civilians would rather have a fresh firefighter or EMS provider taking care of their emergency vs. one who has been working continually for 20 hours. I doubt most folks can fathom exactly what we do unless they've done it themselves.

The career members have certainly worked hard over the last few weeks but so have many of the volunteers. It is true that some certainly work harder than others, but that is on both sides of the coin also and all should not be judged by the actions of a few...

In any event, A/C Bryan Records' shift, along with the help of some volunteer personnel, cleared the snow and the sidewalks are now passable as they should be. We SHOULD be setting the example as stated by some of your viewers and will certainly attempt to do much better in the future to that regard. Despite what some folks on this site may think, we are human also and make mistakes. I assure you that a mistake is what has occurred...an oversight on our part. We certainly aren't perfect and will learn from this mistake.

However, perhaps some of your viewers could make an attempt to come join our ranks and help to be a part of the solution to a perceived problem. That would perhaps give them a better perspective on exactly what we do rather than sit at home and gripe about what we don't.

In any event, the issue has been addresses and we have noted a weakness that will be addressed in the future.

Thanks for the space...

Respectfully,

Jim Gladwell

Editors Note:

Mr. Gladwell,

I applaud you and the rest of the career/volunteer Firefighters for doing what you have done. For what it's worth, before I contacted the Mayor I had my snow blower in my truck and truthfully was going to go up there myself and get it done. With the snow blower I would have been there 20 to 30 minutes and could have saved everyone the manpower. However, I made some phone calls to certain Council Members and they strongly suggested I call the Mayor in fear of possibly getting hurt while doing so. Now, between all of us, if I would have been hurt doing so, that would be my problem, I don't work like others who take advantage of such situations.

Now mind you, you guys/gals aren't Seniors or disabled but I do respect and understand your predicament. I had heard you were quite busy, hence my original offer to just get it done myself. Quite frankly, the Wicomico Public Library STILL has snow and ice outside their facility that hasn't been cleaned up, as of an hour ago. So don't feel singled out as I will produce photos of that as well and yes, I did point this out to the Mayor this morning while we were at a meeting there today.

To ALL of you at the SFD, if you need my services at any time, (I'm not joining the FD but I do encourage others to do so) I'd be more than happy and willing to do so. Thanks for clearing the way. Joe

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou SFD and all the other first responders who worked during this wonderful snow event! Your hard work and dedication has not been overlooked by your fellow first responders. Only we know what it was like and we can never expect the complainers to understand. We are not looking for anyones sympathy, we do what we do because we love it. Keep up the hard work!

Anonymous said...

Jim Gladwell is the same person that runs Joe into the ground and he is a mole for Jonathan Taylor. Watch your sources my friend.

Anonymous said...

My thanks too. But why was the HazMat Vehicle out riding around the first days of this week?

Anonymous said...

Jim,
Thank you and your fellow firefighters for the work you do. Don't let the words of the people who post on this blog get to you. Frequently they seem to be people who have nothing better to do with their time than tell the rest of us how worthless we are. Clearly, if they actually had something worthwhile to do they would be out doing it rather than criticizing you.

Anonymous said...

Gladwell and Hoppes are part of the Gordy klan that were supporting Gary Comegys for Mayor. Since then Gladwell and Hoppes have been saying negative things about Jim Ireton.

joealbero said...

anonymous 10:06, and what makes you any different?

Local 4246 Firefighter said...

Hoppes and Bragg could learn from the example of B Rec. Heres a guy who's a Chief out there bustin butt with the troops shoveling snow. Where were they ? Probably sitting in a warm office or smoking by the dumpsters. Thats why they respect B. Rec and you wont be Chief.

Anonymous said...

What is the difference if you slip and fall on the snow or ice or one of the firefighters/EMT's gets hurt on the snow or ice? A civilian could sue, not that you would, that's not your way but a firefighter or EMT would go out on workmans comp and possibly disability. Either way it would cost the city. That BS hiding behind the curtain of a lawsuit is just that BS. Sounds like they've all been trained by Rick Pollitt. He won't do anything because someone might sue.

Anonymous said...

Well said Jimmy. I was one of the ones who went out, along with the rest of the shift, and we shoveled almost the entire sidewalk area. You are correct in that we made the mistake and it should have been done days ago. We are human. Howvere we must lead by example!

For the record, DC Gordy was right there with us as well. He also checked Sta. 1 and Sta. 2 to assure they were shoveled as well. I know he gets alot of crap on here, but give credit where credit is due.

Rob Frampton

joealbero said...

anonymous 10:51, sadly these Council Members were also afraid I might somehow get arrested for trespassing as well, even though it's public property. The Zoo found a way to have me arrested for allegedly trespassing on public property as well. I certainly didn't want to make a scene.

Anonymous said...

Jim,

While I "applaud" your having the crews clean the sidewalks, please remember, just like a homeowner, that is your job.

Please don't give us the "walk a mile in my shoes" story.

It's the profession you picked and you are paid for it, o.k.? If you were doing it for free, perhaps we would have a bit more empathy for you.

Remember, nobody cares, o.k.?

Anonymous said...

8:00
I would just love to have everyone who criticized put up a pick of their home/business in the week after the storm(s) - and see just how many of you had actually shoveled your walks. I'm betting very few. What do I judge that on? In my own neighborhood I am one of the very few who shoveled after each storm - and I am a renter and a single mother. But, judging by the talk I see here on a daily basis I'm betting lots of talk with little action by most of you.

Anonymous said...

Just one "minor" point to make... you really don't have to challenge people to come work one of your shifts. There are many, many people in our commuinty who would love the opportunity to work for the fire dept but the good ol boy network keeps them out.

Anonymous said...

Shoveling the snow from sidewalks is not the job for our firefighters. A little area maybe, but that place is massive. Give these guys some sort of plow or snowblower for goodness sakes. Ive seen the other City properties and they are is far worse shape. Why do you single out the fire department ? Everybody has snow on their sidewalks and it will melt eventually.

Retired Fart said...

You have got to be kidding me with that Hoppes and Bragg shoveling snow. That would require expending energy. He's a manager and managers deligate work. They would have to have the P.I.O. do a press release with photos if that happened. B.S. everybody has a stake in this mess and you need to forget your title for a minute. Remember where you came from and roll up your sleeves. Thank god somebody at that firehouse still knows how to work. The forgot the widows as well as themselves.

Anonymous said...

The volunteers are not going to be there for this stuff. Your lucky if you get three or four for a building fire and you want them to shovel snow. Have another drink my friend.