Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, December 18, 2009

Classic Homes - Extreme Makeover Home Edition In Poolesville

Hello Joe,

Last year you reported on Classic Homes building a house in Poolesville, MD for a family. This year I signed the contract with Classic Homes of Maryalnd to build my house in Rockville, MD. My wife and I have worked very hard to save the money to build this house in Rockville. We like other parents, want to provide our three kids good place to live and good schools to learn.

After we applied for building permit, I asked classic homes, to give me square footage for each floor. They told me the square footage is counted twice for open spaces (double story family room and double story foyer) and they use ANSI as a method of calculating square footage. I signed a contract for 4000 sq ft house but the way they calculate the square footage, I will only get 3400 sq footage. According to ANSI open spaces cannot be counted twice.

We have tried to explain to Classic Home this problem but they are not willing to give us our dream house and now my family including my elderly parents are stuck. They won't return our $3500 advance and the money we spent in order to submit for the permit. Tha'ts about $10,000. After my complained they have modified their website to cover up there mistake and how they have been misleading their customers about the size of the houses that they are selling.

You will find this interesting and revealing about classic homes. My 10 year old daughter drew a sketch of the Hampton Model that we selected to build, Ms. Amita of Classic Homes, kept that sketch, framed it and hanged it in her office's reception area. However, they don't want to deal with us to build our house or give our money back.

Thanks,
Irfan

No comments: