Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, October 22, 2009

New Jobless Claims Climb More Than Expected


Employers seem unwilling to hire even as economy shows recovery signs

WASHINGTON
- The number of newly laid-off workers filing claims for jobless benefits rose more than expected last week, after falling in five of the past six weeks, as employers remain reluctant to hire even with the economy showing signs of recovery.

The Labor Department said Thursday that new jobless claims rose to a seasonally adjusted 531,000 last week, from an upwardly revised 520,000 the previous week. Wall Street economists had expected only a slight increase, according to Thomson Reuters.

Economists closely watch initial claims, which are considered a gauge of layoffs and an indication of companies' willingness to hire new workers.

GO HERE to read more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that every time the jobless claims come out the are "higher than expected". I think that is another way of saying "cover your ass"

Anonymous said...

I love bidding against off duty cops, guess they dont work to hard at the job if they can run companies on the (side).

Anonymous said...

I had plans of hiring someone this fall IN SPITE OF MINIMUM WAGE HAVING GONE UP RECENTLY. Then I heard unimployment insurance is going to triple. I'll do without until I REALLY need someone. I realize the increase in minimum wage was well intensioned, but why should I have to pay so much for the privelage of training someone with no experience, and who is nothing but an expense until they can do the job they were hired for.