Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, June 13, 2009

HISTORICAL COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER


Last Chapter

The end of my grandfather’s life was precipitated by an event that was noteworthy in the history of Salisbury.

Although he was 78 at the time and was failing due to his age and the fact that he had gotten about as much out of his small body that could be expected, an event occurred in late 1968 that helped Mother Nature along.

One night about 11 o’clock, he answered a knock at his front door. He said that he would never have opened the door except that the person called him by name. When he opened the door, they hit him on the head with the butt end of a pistol. They then proceeded to tie him up with the phone cord and put an arm chair over him. There were two perpetrators and while the one was attending to my grandfather, the other one went upstairs. He obtained my grandfather’s wallet and came down the stairs announcing that he got $400. This always made my grandfather smile, because he knew he had $810 in it. He said it was typical of crooks to steal, even if from each other.

When they had left, my grandfather freed himself and cleaned up the mess they had made, including scrubbing the blood out of the carpet. He never told my grandmother and said that it was lucky she was deaf and slept through the whole affair. Also, the thief never opened the door to her bedroom. My grandfather said if they had threatened her, he would have had to open his hidden wall safe and give them its contents. The next morning he went across the street and asked his daughter, my mother, to drive him to the hospital and have his head wound examined.

They eventually caught the thieves and they were held in the County jail, which at the time was on the third floor of the Old Court House in downtown Salisbury. The third floor was also the home of the County Sheriff. While awaiting trial on the burglary charge, someone slipped a gun to the accused and he used it to break out of jail. During the breakout, the Sheriff, Sam Graham, and the bailiff, Albert Kelly, were killed. To my knowledge, the perpetrator, Joseph Bartholomay, is still in jail in 2009, some 40 years later.

A humorous end to the “Graham Saga” can be seen in the picture of the earrings above. The Sheriff apparently bought them out of a state catalog as a present for his wife, Dorothy, who was the Vice-Principal at Wi-Hi at the time. I’m sure he thought he had really done something to give her “state seal” earrings. I can’t imagine her wearing them and they look like new. I bought them at the auction of her estate.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

George , you are the man!

Anonymous said...

I think that Bulevard TV was also robbed by the Bartholomay thug. In thos edays a criminal was apprehended and taken off the streets. Very sad, what happened, for the Graham family.

dinosaur said...

This is one of your best yet. I remember when Sam Graham and Deputy Kelly were murdered; I was in college at the time and it made the national newscasts in December 1968.

Jonathan Taylor said...

Wow, I didn't think old people knew how to use computers! They must have classes in nursing homes or something.

Chimera said...

Glad he is still in prison....
Yep thieves will cut each other out too.

Anonymous said...

If you do not mind me asking what did you have to give at auction for those? They are unique.

Great Story.

George Chevallier said...

To 5:16
I usually have two procedures I follow when I acquire a new collectible. The first is to remove the price tag; the second is to forget what I paid for it since I have no intention to resell it. I do remember the earrings, though. They were $6.00 before all the add-ons (buyer's premium and tax).

Anonymous said...

11:24 It's a fact that "old people" as you call them, use computers quite well. You many find out someday if your condescending mouth allows you to live that long.

Anonymous said...

George thank you for taking the time to offer an answer to the price. I just think that is a great post and just wondered about the price. I too do not sell items I collect. Just a great story attached to the item.

You are a true gentleman

Thanks Joe for posting stuff like this