Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, March 21, 2009

HISTORICAL MOMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER

LUNCH TREAT





Back in the mid-1950’s, “fast food” was nowhere to be found in Salisbury. If someone went out to eat, it was always a special occasion. And you dressed accordingly. There were an assortment of luncheonettes and diners for the working trade to patronize at lunchtime if they didn’t go home for lunch or pack it to take to work. At the diners and luncheonettes, the lunch-time fare was usually a hot roast beef or turkey sandwich or the ever popular grilled cheese sandwich.

In 1956, when I was attending St. Francis de Sales school, I made the discovery of a lifetime – the submarine sandwich. I had attained a level of trust with my parents to the point where I could ride my bicycle to school one day a week. Traffic was not as horrific as it is now and the idea of anyone taking your bicycle was unheard of. Of course, it had a City of Salisbury license plate, which was a 2” x 3” piece of metal embossed with a number which was registered by the City and issued only to you. It was attached to the rear of the seat with a metal band and you just knew that it provided all the security you would need. This was before the bad guys discovered bolt cutters.


So, every Thursday at lunch time, I rode my bicycle to that magical place, Sid’s Subs. It was located on S. Division St. near the hospital, not far from St. Francis. And, so, for 30 minutes and less than a dollar, I savored that marvel of culinary art, the cold cut sub. It was washed down with a cold orange drink. I don’t remember having to make many decisions about what kind I wanted or how I wanted it fixed. Sid Niblett made one kind and it was fairly scrumptious to me. The whole jumble of cold cuts, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions and oil was a far cry from the usual orderly sandwiches my Mother used to make. The whole experience was a transition in my life and I have never forsaken my love of a good cold cut sub.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember how good the subs were at Dairy Queen, Red Door and The Hut. There for a while the Brown Derby used to have real good cold cuts, you bought gas and got a deal on two subs. Here in the last few years I have taken a liking to Billys Sub Shop in O.C., they have some good subs.

Anonymous said...

Was Sids in the building across the street from the old front door of the hospital? I can remember getting cold cuts from there

Tim Chaney said...

George, what was the name of the sub place that was right on RT 13 at the hospital? I remember that one. My Dad used to get us subs there, then they sold out to the hospital and moved to the corner of Carroll Street and RT 13 over by Pizza City and didn't do so well there and closed?

I remember one time going to Hill's Martini's and while sitting at the counter waiting on our Pizza, my Dad drank a couple beers and (I was about 12) I saw my first cockroach! ; )

I miss ole Ruben Hill, he was a great guy, liked his cigars.

Anonymous said...

So where is the current best cold cut in town? Maybe we should have a poll and figure it out. Pats has a ginormous sub that's good, red door is still good, too. Subside deli? Devages? As far as the best, there might be an unknown place that I need to know about.

Thanks.

Tidewaterbound said...

Carolyn's chicken salad was the BEST -- (The Hut).

Anonymous said...

My sister married one of her sons, we used to get to eat there after it was closed. Running between the Pub and the Fire House. Cant party like that anymore, got old.

Anonymous said...

The Hut was my favorite place for a sub. It was a special treat for our family to go out to eat and yes, we always got dressed for it. Except if we went to The Hut. Carrol made the best cheese-steak subs. Even after I got married and moved away, returning home for a visit always included a trip to The Hut. Since they closed their doors I haven't found a cheese-steak or a cold cut as good as she made. When ordering today I order subs from Pats.

Anonymous said...

RED DOOR IS STILL HARD TO BEAT

Anonymous said...

Tim - that was L&F Sub Shop, owned by Mr Parsons. His son John carried on the business and ultimately ended up moving to his new building on the east side of 13 at Waverly and Caroll St.

Now that's a while ago.

Anonymous said...

Oh man! The Hut and thier Cheese Steak with Pizza Sauce was the best! We used to drive 10 miles (to town we'd say)to buy them.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh , with sweet peppers , George

Anonymous said...

Mr. George, speaking of fast food. Maybe you could do a story on the arrival of fast food to Salisbury. Burger Chef, Carrolls, Champs. Anybody remember those places? What about Gino's!??! The Giant was twice as good as a Big Mac!

Anonymous said...

I see someone answered Tim's question before I got to it; but yes...that was the Mite-E-Tasty L & F Sub Shop. Miss the bejeepers out of Ginos, old DQ and the Old Hut{NOT the 'New Hut'; which wasn't the same as the 'Old Hut'}

And if you lived near these places you probably also remember walking up Vine/Washington, etc {around Salvation Army} towards Rt. 13where it was located and not even seeing, oh what do they call it-OH YEH, Eastern Shore Drive {hadn't been built yet!!} I'll take a large with no onion, extra oil, and light hot peppers if anyone has one of those Marty McFly DeLorean time machines..{BTW...I believe the price for a large back then was about "tree fiddy"}

Anonymous said...

That sub in the pic looks prettty darn good right now. I agree with another who's got the best cold cut in town?

JG

Anonymous said...

Here's one that will take you back in time: SIDETRACK on N.Division St.

Anonymous said...

George: L&F was great; I do remember Sids. I also remember Carrolls which so many don't seem to believe was there! I miss all the old places in Salisbury.

Anonymous said...

The L&F (Lester & Frank) sub shop was owned by John and Richard Parsons dad and partner. Richard ran his vending machine out of the basement and John ran the sub shop. Also 9:32, I may be wrong but Tommy Devage, who had Martinis was the big cigar smoker Tommy and his wife Ann (who actually ran the business since Tommy lived on the golf course and the bowling alley lol) lived in the back room of Martini's. Jim and ron Cover took it over from Tommy and Ann after that and then Rueben Hill I believe. Love thinking of those old days jackkcharl@aol.com

Chimera said...

Wasnt L&F still standing until the late 80's?I still remember that place and Ginos too!There was also a Mister Donut just south of the hospital where my aunt would take me on Saturday nights to get a donut.

Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken, Champs replaced Carrolls where KFC/Long John Silvers is today. Burger Chef was up the street where Dunkin Donuts is located today. Does anybody have any pictures of these places that they could share?

Anonymous said...

Heck lets all get the old cars out of the garage and meet at OAKS DRIVE-IN for some crunchies.

Anonymous said...

Or we could all meet at Johnny's & Sammy's for a nice dinner! LOL!

Anonymous said...

you guyz are forgeting about the old dykes brothers and the acorn restaurant! which used to be where the pohanka used car office is today. great burgers and the best deep fried fan tail shrimp i have ever eaten.