Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

FIFTY YEARS OF MATH:

2009 (in the USA )

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters , but she hailed the manager for help.. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1.. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2.. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

12 comments:

shoreatheist said...

I agree with the questionable state of math competency. But, I wonder if the machine had already tallied up the change to be given and the girl didn't know how to alter it so she could give you the new amount of change while not screwing up the tally that was recorded for the transaction. Maybe it was the final straw for a bad day at work.

Anonymous said...

Math in the 2009s
If you work in the public schools, you will be surprised that it is not the language that determines the knowledge of numbers. Usually people from other languages are much smarter than American kids with respect to math. Where I come from, we don't use calculators; evrything is in your head.

By the way the translation to Spanish is wrong.
“6. Teaching Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?”

It should say: Un maderero vende una carretada de madera por $100.00. El costo de la producción es $80.00 ¿Cuánto dinero ha hecho?

Reconciled1 said...

yep!!! It amazes me how young kids can't do simple math problems anymore. We spend more than ever on our schools and the just keep dumbing them down. It's really sad.

Reconciled1 said...

How would tallying up the register alter the transation? At the end of the day, the register doesn't know who gave what monies. As long as the final totals work out.

Anonymous said...

So true

Anonymous said...

In the clerks defense, those things will happen sometimes when you work retail. I worked retail during highschool and I remember sometimes suddenly stumbling over simple math. And I am a whiz with math, especially simple math in my head. But when you are working all day your head can become cloudy.

When someone suddenly gives you more money, and you have already completed the math in your head, the new money can become a non sequitur. Give people a break.

This is all very benign banter, but as a retail worker and a waiter, I have found that people can be very rude and inconsiderate towards low income workers.

Unknown said...

@ Reconciled1: How would tallying up the register alter the transation? At the end of the day, the register doesn't know who gave what monies. As long as the final totals work out.

Really...?

The register keeps track of the transactions and, in theory, keeps track of how much money is in the register's till. If she rings up the transaction and then the customer offers additional change after the fact then... the actual amount of money and what the register thinks should be in the till will be different.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I grew up and learned math in the 80's. I understood the 1950's question easiest of all? does that make me an anachronism? oh wait, my dad (who was educated in the 50's) taught me how to do math in my head... I guess that goes to show you what happens when you rely SOLELY on others to raise/educate your child...

I have a further example- I was in the grocery store the other day and my purchase came to $13.40 and some change. I only had a $50 and some ones. So, I gave the clerk $54 dollars. he swiveled his head back and forth like a dog trying to figure out why i gave him $54 for a $13.40 purchase. he almost got it right, but he messed up the change. he gave me $40.00 and 40 cents... I had to remind him he owed me .20 more. he gave it to me with a "why do you care, its only .20" kind of attitude. I weep for my generation.

Anonymous said...

The cashier is a set up for this LOL funny joke. I worked a cash register many years and the younger they were the harder the math and counting back change is to them. These are smart kids with good grades who just don't get it. I couldn't contain my laughter when I got to the 1970s and 1980s, I was in tears after that....you people need to lighten up-esp el Papi Rico, like we care if the Spanish is right. We can't get our kids to get the math in English right LOL!! Papi-Con su permiso y si puedes, dile a la muchacha, dos pesetas por favor!!!

Anonymous said...

Joshua- Really the register will have a different number than what the actual sales were? Every time I worked a register, it never told me how many quarters, nickels and dimes I should have. It may tell how many checks, credit cards and cash, but most registers don't do that either.

Anonymous said...

Buenos dias, senor. Mas cerveza, por favor. Donde esta la playa nudista?? Mucho gusto.

{I'm sorry [lo siento] that this is pretty much all the Spanish I know, but it actually seems to get you pretty far in certain places in Mexico. But be careful...I believe if you use this line too much you may end up going to this place called el carcel malo}

Anonymous said...

To 11:09 "...and you have already completed the math in your head..."
but they didn't do any math in their head all day: the register always told them.

Also I am not so sure that it's the state of math teachers, but possibly more the state of technology. kids rely too much on registers and calculators. I worked for a long time at a baseball stadium where I had to do the math in my head: no problem ever. Then I worked at a drugstore for 6 mos. Then when I went back to the stadium it took me a week of puzzledness to get back into the habit.
Now think of the kids who have NEVER had to make change in their head!

I bought girl scout cookies the other day and the girl couldnt figure out change for a $3.50 purchase paid with a $20.

Sometimes I give obscure change to avoid getting singles or pennies...like I will pay something like $23.02 for something that costs $13.47 and even people with a register will give me the weirdest looks!

BTW: I learned math c. mid 90s-2006 in public school and got up to Calculus I. It was my favorite subject.