Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, February 19, 2009

A View From The Media Centre: DTV Part 2

WBOC-TV Studios in Salisbury, Maryland

This is the second of two pieces, the first one was started in September 2008. In this part, I will update a couple of events which happened and look at the production aspects of DTV/HD which includes my much anticipated impressions of the WBOC news plex.

Wow, what a whirlwind few months. Let's talk about the obvious, the digital television deadline has been pushed back to June. Even though this has been advertised for over a year and a half, President Barack Obama felt that people are not prepared. Not that he is totally wrong, the government just did not allocate enough money for DTV coupons, but I do think people did know about it, but I digress.

Despite the delay, more than 300 stations decide to save some money and shut off their analog transmitters on the pre-determined deadline, February 17. This does include WBFF-TV (Channel 45) and WNUV-TV (Channel 54) in Baltimore. Both are managed by Sinclair Broadcasting Group (WBFF is officially owned, while WNUV is effectively owned since members of the family that own Sinclair owns WNUV's parent company, Glencairn.) The switch does not include WBOC-TV (Channel 16) which wanted to switch early, but the FCC rejected their request and part of the blame goes to WMDT-TV (Channel 47). WMDT went all-digital this past September, and the FCC wants to keep at least one analog signal on, particularly in small markets, as sort of a night light before the absolute last day this summer.

Stations in the Greater Washington Area are still sticking to analog, at least for now. No word has been given on a transition date.

Among stations serving Maryland in High Defenition are WUSA-TV (Channel 9) in Washington, which was the first station. WBFF was the second station, however they were first in Baltimore. WTTG-TV (Channel 5), WJLA-TV (Channel 7) and WBAL-TV (Channel 11) all went high def within the past six months. WBAL has a really cool open as well. However, it's a shame that the news sets for these stations in markets no. 8 (Washington) and 24 (Baltimore) are very unimpressive, when it compares to the WBOC NewsPlex serving the Salisbury-Ocean City market, which currently ranks at no. 147.



Behind the WBOC building on N. Salisbury Boulevard is the WBOC NewsPlex, which looks and feels like a sound stage in Los Angeles. Now the moment every has been waiting for, a look at the WBOC News Plex from a broadcasters point of view. These pictures were taken during my visit in August, when I was in Ocean City for the MACo Summer Conference.



The NewsPlex is controlled by a production system called "Ignite" which was made by Grass Valley, a long time maker of television equipment. This is state of the art equipment which is being used in a lot of big markets in addition to small markets. Where the control room would be filled with a crew of people working various roles (audio, teleprompter, robotic cameras, graphics, etc.,) with Ignite, all of these roles are done by ONE person.

For a preview of what Ignite was like, a friend of mine, who worked for Disney/ABC-owned WTVD-TV in Durham, North Carolina, which went HD last May. He sent me his reactions around the time I wrote part one. "At WTVD the reaction to me has been very mixed, however most see it for what it is, a cost cutting measure and quick way to go HD. I've seen good and bad from IGNITE but at the same time the "RUN" button is only doing the techinical directing and audio though a coded timeline controlled by the director. Graphics operator (my position), cameras and teleprompter are still done by people. The biggest problem I've seen from our IGNITE is audio related problems like losing mix-minus or clip mics. Also, another problem is routing remotes or live shots. It has not been too bad during breaking news events [but] you can tell it doesn't respond well to unplanned events. We've had one day where we lost our video sources and had to roll everything from a backup edit bay."

The best part for me is that WBOC is now streaming their news on their website. So far, none of the glitches that I have heard about happened. In one case, WPXI-TV in Pittsburgh had to do one of the noon newscasts in the parking lot of their studios.

The cameras at WBOC are set in place, except for a crane camera, which is still controlled by a human. I should also note that it is the only camera that has a viewfinder. The other cameras in the studio do not. They are completely under the direction of the director.



Here is the newsroom. The area that is most visible is the producer bullpen towards the front of the picture. The back area where the station logo is where the assignment area is. Behind the logo is a little secret that is coming out right now in case it hasn't already...



A hidden audio booth where reporters can record narration. I would not be surprised if they fix it so Don Elkins and Steve Hammond would not have to run towards the front of the building to do radio updates. The audio booth is a similar set up to what I have in my home studio in Laurel, Maryland. I am one step away from being able to do live broadcasting from my living room (although with the internet, I am already there with the right software.)



This is the interview area towards the left. The green walls can be used as chromakey for the weather segment. In addition, to the green screen, anything can be inserted in the background. This part of the NewsPlex is mostly used during the 7:00pm news.



The weather set is conveniently next to the interview/background area.



Here is a close up of the infamous rotating anchor desk. I did not see it turn, unfortunately. The only other set in the region with a rotating anchor desk is WBFF in Baltimore. The difference is that WBOC's desk is machine controlled.

The WBOC NewsPlex is extremely impressive for a market the size of Salisbury, let alone in generic terms in the world of broadcasting on the east coast. A lot of planning has gone into this and it shows. Special thanks for Craig Jahelka, General Manager of WBOC and Renee Marine, the Executive Producer of WBOC who showed me around. I would also want to say hello to the afformentioned Don Elkins and and Steve Hammond, who I met on that day. I hope that MACo invites me to their conference again this year.



kenny@kennyburns.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The delay is for minorities. Obama
will purchase them new televisions between now and june.

Anonymous said...

why dont wboc and wmdt broadcast in full wide screen high def?

due to being a satellite customer, i only pick them up over the air. some of their shows are, but some are not, in particular the news on wmdt. nothing bothers me more then getting an hd signal that's not wide screen.

Dave C said...

As a Directv customer, I have to rely on over-the-air broadcasts in order to get my local channels. So I went out, got a really nice digital antennea so that I could pick up all the HD Digital and on clear days I can get some Baltimore and D.C. Channels. But here's the catch, my antennea is DIGITAL ONLY! I ditched my annalog antennea figuring that I wouldn't need it anymore-boy was I wrong!!

For over a year now all the talk has been about February 17th, get a digital converter, get a coupon if you need one, get ready to go digital...

Ok, so I "made the switch" and since a small hand full of folks can't get their act together to do the same, I have to suffer? Better yet, the majority (those who were prepared) has to suffer? There are several channels that the FCC rejected digital requests that I can now NOT get because I'm on digital only!

This is what's wrong with our nation!!!!!!!!!! The "do good-ers" can't get aheader or even carry on with life because of a few people. When I was in public school and college, if something was due on a certain day then it was due...no excuses. If you don't make the deadline, you fail or even better YOU GET LEFT BEHIND! Today, a deadline is just a date to start trying to get extensions-it means nothing anymore...

The government really needs to quit holding the hands of the IDIOTS that can't get their act together! Leave behind the child that doesn't want to learn, let the man that doesn't want to work starve, let the banks with poor lending practices fold, and let the major corporations and CEOs go bankrupt for making stupid business decisions or over producing. Bring back the survival of the fittest!

Since when did TV become a right?! I know that we get an important emergency message once every ten years, but I've always thought that the TV was a priviledge.


Too all of you flippin morons out there that can't get right, I would like to extend a big thank you for holding my life up, finding a way to spend my tax money, and being a burden on society-I don't know what we would do with out you....

Dave C said...

ANON 8:52 AM,

Here's what I know about the narrow picture...

Take the 47 news-it is shot in a HD wideformat; however, stations determine whether to broadcast it in the same format or a cropped format. So basically you're missing that 3 or 4 inches or so on each side of the picture. The reason for this is that the majority of folks still have a standard 3:4 picture television. I'm sure that eventually they will go to full wide format.

Some TV's will allow you to stretch the picture, but that makes our girl Stacey Saki appear in wide format too...and none of us want that to happen!

FYI to you Directv Customers out there...You can get a AM21 external tuner($50 from directv) to bring in your local channels in to your directv guide. The AM21 looks like a slimmer HD receiver that plugs into certain HD receivers (I use an HR22 HD receiver)and your OTA antennea. You can record your locals, search for shows in the guide, and do pretty much anything that you can do with your other Directv Channels. The only catch is that you don't need HD service but you have to have certain HD receivers (I believe just the HR21 and HR22 for now) to use the AM21 external tuner. Hopefully I made somebody's day a little bit better with that information-I know I was happy to hear about it!

Anonymous said...

Emergency Broadcast System is still analog!

Remember the cryptic predictions of Joe Biden that Obama would face a crisis within the 1st 6 months in office.

If they do the switch and we are attacked and not everyone gets the message, what happens then?

Just yesterday it was found that N.Korea has Intercontinental Ballistics aimed at us containing biological,and nuclear warheads.

We don't need to go digital
period.

Anonymous said...

If all the pausing during tv and little quick scrambles are what we have to look forward to with digital, then I say shove it where the sun don't shine.
We have cable but ever since stations started broadcasting in digital, watching tv sometimes can be quite aggravating!

Is this what we all have to look forward to???